Boot Loaders (Vista & Darwin Boot Menu) problem....

Dude Matters

5 posts in this topic

I use Kalyway 10.5.3 and all works fine on my Acer Travelmate 5310. But I have a problem configuring the boot menu(s)..

I have Vista Business installed on the firste partition of my HD (disk0s1)

I have OS X 10.5.3 (Kalyway) installed on my second partition of my HD (disk0s2)

I use the Vista boot menu, as I can only set disk0 active, otherwise nothing will boot.

So, that's fine, but as soon as I choose OSX I get the Darwin boot menu, again offering Vista and OSX. Vista is the first partition and default. I want OSX to start automaticly, not give me an option. So here is my question, how do I do this?

Setting the parameter rd=disk0s2 in com.apple.Boot.plist does nothing, still Vista is the default partition.

Please help. I've searched over and over again but cannot find a solution...

If you want to set the second partition as active boot with -s on either your install disc or Leopard. Then:

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

flag 2

quit

reboot

iPoco

Thanks iPoco, unfortunately this didn't work for me, my machine wasn't able to boot from that partition for some reason.

What I did to make it work is download the OSX86Tools I found on this site, reinstalled the EFI bootloader and set the second partition to default. Now my machine starts with the Darwin Boot menu, defaulting into OSX and I have the option to boot Vista.

Dude Matters... could you explain your steps again in a bit more detail please? I grabbed the OS86tools as you described... Selected the Install EFI/Run F Disk option... reinstalled the source.... but nothing much else happend. What do I do from here? Have I misunderstood you re the EFI bootloader reinstall process? How do I set the 2nd partition to default. Your help would be MUCH appreciated! Also I don't know if you can help but I was trying to create a storage partition for Mac OS but now this also appears on my Darwin boot menu which is a bit annoying. Any thoughts?? You managed to crack exactly what I was after :(... good stuff! Oh yeah - one final thing.... now that Darwin is loading direct for you... what would you do if Mac OS fatal crashed and you could not recover with regard to then trying to get back into Windows WITHOUT the darwin bootloader functioning. I'd hate to have to reinstall all OS's again. I assume worst case installing MAC OS again... then going and setting windows partition as active or using you darwin technique again would recover the problem? What do you reckon? Sorry for so many questions. Am loving my Frankenmac.. just trying to add the final tweaks! Cheers!

Hi Flippa,

What I did was start OSXTools, choose Install EFI/Run FDISK, install all the nessasery scripts and log in. At the options choose option 3, Install_Efi_V8, choose the disk where OSX is installed (in my case disk0), choose the partition to start from (in my case partition 2) and finish off. Thats it..