Freeze While Uninstalling SP3

strakerc

3 posts in this topic

So as I was trying to uninstall SP3, my computer froze and I had to hard reboot. Now, when I try to run Windows, all I get is a black screen. I don't understand why anything was affected though because the uninstall SP3 process hadn't actually even made it to the uninstall, but was still analyzing my computer.

Is there anything I can do short of a reformat? The Windows drive isn't even mounting on my desktop anymore, so I cannot even recover my files...I run Parallels 3.0 Build 5608 and Boot Camp 2.0 . I was uninstalling SP3 to install Boot Camp 2.1, which I now know you are supposed to do before the install of SP3.

Running OS X 10.5.3 on 2.2 GHz Macbook Pro

So as I was trying to uninstall SP3, my computer froze and I had to hard reboot. Now, when I try to run Windows, all I get is a black screen. I don't understand why anything was affected though because the uninstall SP3 process hadn't actually even made it to the uninstall, but was still analyzing my computer.

Is there anything I can do short of a reformat? The Windows drive isn't even mounting on my desktop anymore, so I cannot even recover my files...I run Parallels 3.0 Build 5608 and Boot Camp 2.0 . I was uninstalling SP3 to install Boot Camp 2.1, which I now know you are supposed to do before the install of SP3.

Running OS X 10.5.3 on 2.2 GHz Macbook Pro

Boot from the Windows installation disc and select the option to repair the Windows installation using the recovery console. It should scan your HD and hopefully find you Windows installation. If it does, repair and you should be able to boot back into you install. Although you will have to reapply any Windows updates you've downloaded since you installed it.

Thanks for the quick reply. I got into the repair mode fomr the installation disk, and it had me select my hard drive and type the admin password, but then it just logged me on to my windows hard drive and I did not know the command to type to repair it...I am assuming there is a command? It was in dos and I was logged in to my C disk directory.