A tip for people installing with IDE/PATA only drives

DavidinCT

1 post in this topic

Hi all,

I just wanted to give this tip incase other people are having a problem. It took me about 2 weeks to figure out why it's failing. My install died so I had to reinstall, redid this and it installed fine. My system board is a MSI PT880.

I would keep getting drive errors and it would fail telling to attempt to install on another disk. I've seen a lot of posts on here that Leopard needs SATA drives to be able to install.

My config was 2 Hard drives on IDE 0 and 2 DVD drives on IDE 1. No matter how I installed with this config, it would go 20% then when it started copying files, it would bomb out.

Here's what I had to do, on IDE 0, set a DVD drive as Master and the Harddrive as the slave. After this it would install pefectly with no errors. After it is all installed, you can put your system back the way it was.

My System is dual booting with Vista on parition 1 and Leopard 10.5.3 on Partition 2 using the Chain0 method. No problems, only thing I would like is when the Leopard bootloader comes up, just to automaticly select the Leopard partition and load up. Oh, well...

I hope this helps someone....

-Dave