OSX, Vista, SUSE Triple Boot Issues

11 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

So I jumped on openSUSE 11.0 (just had to take a look at the eye candy) and installed it on my working vista/osx dual boot with darwin bootloader. I was careful not to install any bootloader when installing openSUSE hoping that darwin would detect my linux ext3 partition. Unfortunately, it doesn't; darwin looks exactly the same as before and I can only boot into vista and osx.

Is anyone familiar with triple booting linux, osx and vista? I like the darwin bootloader and would like to use it. Is there some mistake I made with the boot configuration while installing openSUSE?

I have one HDD: vista on hda(0,1); osx hda(0,2); openSUSE hda(0,3); data hda(0,4). darwin picks up vista, osx and data but not openSUSE. My installation process was vista first, osx, and just last night, openSUSE.

Thanks for any help!

I have the same problem. I'm going to reinstall Suse, not choosing any bootloader, and then, on OSX I'll try the new Chameleon bootloader - I'd put a link for it, but due to some strange and very hard to understand rules dictated by InsanelyMac's administrators, one cannot post any opensource links.

just google for it

I hope it'll work

Thanks for the tips, Velvet Ghost and jjudoro! I'll take a look at the Chameleon bootloader.

I had managed to boot openSUSE after installation but now I am unable to boot from "Boot installed system" from the DVD. I'll reinstall and see what happens!

Thanks for the tips, Velvet Ghost and jjudoro! I'll take a look at the Chameleon bootloader.

I had managed to boot openSUSE after installation but now I am unable to boot from "Boot installed system" from the DVD. I'll reinstall and see what happens!

When you reinstall, you can install grub to mbr.

My tutorial tells you how to boot OS X from grub.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry606752

Do not install opensuse's bootloader to the mbr

it screws up the vista partition, making it irrepairable if you remove open suse

Actually, its very easy to fix.

You can boot a Win XP install disk (Yes XP), go to Recovery Console, run fixmbr

I had to do this awhile ago, screwed my whole system up so I could only boot FreeBSD 7.0.

Once I recovered Vista, I booted off a Linux Live DVD, and reinstalled grub.

Thanks so much for your advice, rhyguy and wmarsh! I did refrain from installing any bootloader at all but since I'm unable to select openSUSE from the darwin bootloader, I'm thinking of taking the plunge and just install grub to my linux ext3 partition. From what I gather, when I do this, I should be able to boot openSUSE but vista and osx would probably not work. After that, should I follow the instructions on the link that you posted, wmarsh?

The few times I tinkered about with installing grub (but never got around to actually applying it for fear of wrecking my installation), I notice customization options to include other OSes. Grub appears to be able to detect vista on my first partition and my data partition but not the osx one. Should I just install grub to my linux partition and not the MBR and see what happens?

Here is my partition layout:

hd(0,1) vista

hd(0,2) osx

hd(0,3) ext3 <- this is for openSUSE

hd(0,4) data

All of them are primary partitions and I'm currently dual booting vista and osx using the darwin bootloader which sees vista, osx and data.

Thanks again!

If you install grub to ext3 partition, you should be able to boot opensuse with chainloader.

You can do this without reinstalling from the live DVD. Last time I did it it was not automated, you could do it manually. But SUSE constantly has new features. (I use 10.3).

If you want to use grub as your main bootloader, install it to mbr. My guide is based on an mbr install. It would work with grub installed to the boot sector of your ext3 partition, but then you'd have 1 more step to get to OS X.