Error Updating AMD Leopard Kernel to 9.2.2

MasterBeta

8 posts in this topic

Okay, so, I tried to update the kernel in my install of OSX, Kalway's 10.5.2 AMD version. The kernel was 9.2.0 which caused a problem with the USB ports. Before updating the kernel to the AMD build of 9.2.2, I backed up my mach_kernel and System.kext. After updating the kernel, OSX will no longer boot up, even in Single-User mode. I don't see a kernel panic anywhere, but it has to be because of this, since it was working fine before it. My question is, if I can't get into single-user mode, and Leopard won't boot up, how do I get in to replace the files with the backups?

Thanks!

You might be able to do this for a Time Machine back up, with the installation DVD. You might also be able to install Macdrive (if you have windows installed) and toss in a Kernel this way, although it sounds like a terrible way to do it. If all else fails, a system reinstall may be in order.

I don't have a Time Machine backup since I don't have a spare HDD (external, internal, or partition) for it. I could try Macdrive, I do remember using that in the past (messy, but it still could work). Worst-case scenario I'll have to reinstall the system, but I hope not, since I had settings and applications configured how I'd like them, and it'd be a hassle (though not too difficult) to have to redo all of it.

Thanks though. I'll try Macdrive out.

Don't worry:if you use MacDrive,it will do the trick.For the record:If you can't even boot in single-user to repair your system,be aware that you can boot from the DVD,open Terminal,and then move and replace files (just in case).Good luck...

You can access the hard drives from the DVD's terminal? That'd probably be quicker for me. How might I do that?

Sure,for example:

cp -Rf /Volumes/The_Name_Of_Your_HDD/path_and_file_to_be copied /Volumes/The_Name_Of_Your_HDD/Path_of_the_Target

This is a single line.Another example,if you want to restore a kernel located on your desktop type on Terminal:

cp -Rf /Volumes/The_Name_Of_Your_HDD/Users/Your_Name/Desktop/mach_kernel /Volumes/The_Name_Of_Your_HDD/

Also,a single line.

All that you need to know is where the files are located...

Thanks Xxp..I hadn't known how to access my hard drives from the boot disc's terminal (though I figured it MUST be possible, but ls'ing the directory didn't yield any results). I was able to restore the backed-up kernel and kext, and I'm back in Leopard!

I guess my machine just isn't compatible with the AMD release of the 9.2.2 kernel.