10.5.2 Login Window Application Started -> then freeze

micky

4 posts in this topic

System:

MB: Asus P5N-E SLI - bios version 801

Cpu: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4 ( default )

MEM: 2x2GB DDR2 800

GPU: Nvidia GF8800 GT 512MB PCI-Ex ( G92 )

OSX HDD: IDE 20GB

DVD-R : noname IDE

Install:

Iatkos 2.0 (10.5.2) using "nforce_core -v" OR " -v -x -f cpus=1 - legacy" options ( GPT + iatkos default kernel )...

i've installed the system 4 times now.. each time selecting different Nvidia drivers ( natit / ninject / others ) and kernels and installation was successful each time resulting in the following:

Now each time it boots if i add boot flags:

-no boot flags - kernel panic

-v - kernel panic

-v -x - surprisingly kernel does not panic .. but instead it freezes / hangs at " Login window application started "

-v -x -f cpus=1 - "Login window app"

Personally i suspect the Nvidia drivers are the issue but i cant put my finger on it since i get the same result even if i do not install any of the supplied drivers..

i've also tried kalaway 10.5.1 with the same results.

Could someone help ?

-- update:

1- i've noticed a " display: family matching failed " line or something similar

2- the installation boots successfuly under Vmware Workstation 6... so it looks like the nvidia drivers might be the issue

• 2 weeks later...

It seems i might have been abit wrong about the Freeze part..

Basically the fresh install boots into a "Light Blue screen" in about 20-30 minutes... then in another 10-15 i get the nice mouse on the desktop and if i'm lucky after a lil` while the full desktop.

The machine moves horribly.. even my 500mhz G4 runs Tiger faster than this Q6600 is running Leopard..

Compared to my other hackintosh , a pentium D 820 ( @ 2,8 ) / p5gz-mx / 2gb ddr2 / GF9600 GT running with no QE/CI support the pentium D can actually move the mouse on the desktop in realtime.. the quad core just cant.. i wonder why..

I've noticed if i have both monitors ( CRT`s hooked up using dvi to vga adapters ) hooked up the desktop is automatically spanned ( extended ) on both monitors.. preatty nice but useless in the current conditions. ( no QE/CI and moving like a G3 dragged by a snail :hysterical: )

All this happens if i boot using Toh kernel, any other kernel will just panic / auto reboot the machine.

also i've updated the install to 10.5.3 using jas 10.5.3 updater, and it took around 20 - 30 minutes to extract the zip file and about an hour to actually install the update... you get a bit of what i'm talking about...