Help with Pico-ITX installation

defor

4 posts in this topic

I've been trying to get 10.4.x or 10.5.x installed on a new EPIA-PX board (also known as the pico-itx) from VIA.

I realize this is far from supported, but considering that this board uses the VIA C7M cpu (the same as the OQO 02 that's been hacked to work), I theorize that there should be few issues with this.

I've been testing using the kalyway 10.5.2 disc that's worked great for most other systems i've used it on.

First, the boot process hangs at waiting for boot media if i use a USB dvd rom drive to install (not really surprising given the nonstandard chipset). Thus I have connected an ide HDD and CDROM and can progress further.

Secondly, the bios on the EPIA-PX is flawed, and actually has a bug in the ACPI (hence its noncompliance with Vista or Windows PE - both fail install with an error about the ACPI being incompatible), however, I'd think there should be a way around this.

Where I end up is with a hang displaying:

ACPI_SMC_CtrlLoop::initCPUCtrlLoop - pmCPUControl (PMIOCSETPSTATETABLE) returned 0xffffffff

I'm assuming this has something to do with the broken ACPI settings in the bios, but all changes I've made to the ACPI options have made no difference, and using the option 'platform=X86PC' has made no difference.

Any suggestions?

-thanks

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Have you (or others) had any luck?

The situation appears to be thus:

VIA has neglected to properly fix the ACPI problems in the bios (that should make this possible after looking at the OQO installation methods)...

EVEN THOUGH they demonstrated the board before shipment running vista (which also will not install due to the ACPI problem)

On the first board I received, I attempted a downgrade of the bios to the previous version listed on the support site (but this killed the board, and with no removable rom, it was a lost cause), in hopes that an older version actually still retained the vista support, but it seems others have the same problem.

• 5 weeks later...