No video in fullscreen games

Dimituri

12 posts in this topic

Hi. I'm on Kalyway 10.5.2 and the only problem's I've had so far (LAN, USB, graphics, etc.) were resolved using the info from this wonderful community. There is one though. Resently I've tried to run a few games (namely, Quake 4, NFS Carbon and Fallout 2) but all I get is the audio – I can hear the intro music, but the screen stays black. I've run a bench using Xbench and it says I've at 175 fps, and I can see the graphics in a windo. So I can't figure out the issue. Halp?

My specs are the following:

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2 GHz

2 GB Memory

NVIDIA 8600GT 512 MB (NVinject 0.2.1)

Update:

There actually is the video. The screen isn't black, it's just that the colors are very very dim. Hovewer, I still can't figure out, why it works in window mode and doesn't in fullscreen.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I tried running Quake III Arena and got the same problem. Can hear the menu music, mouse sounds, but the screen is black. After that I can't get out of the game without pressing the reset button (how can I kill the game process?).

Regards,

Fergo

I'm 99% sure that this is caused by the fact that you have a video card that supports dual monitors. Most likely you have your monitor plugged into the "secondary" port and when you go into a full screen game it is trying to display it on the "primary" port. Try switching your DVI or VGA cable to the other port and then running the game. This should solve your problem

-Dxbydt

I'm 99% sure that this is caused by the fact that you have a video card that supports dual monitors. Most likely you have your monitor plugged into the "secondary" port and when you go into a full screen game it is trying to display it on the "primary" port. Try switching your DVI or VGA cable to the other port and then running the game. This should solve your problem

-Dxbydt

Oh my god, thanks man!

I would never imagine that this problem had something to do with the DVI port I was using. I just changed to the left one (viewing from back of the computer) and the games are now working! (at least Quake III and Quake IV are running damn nice now).

Fergo

• 3 months later...

Or the issue might be that your hackintosh video driver can't switch the resolution (this is my issue on 9500GT - I can change it but I have to reboot after each attempt because of black screen - the game does the same thing, attempts to change your resolution to it's default when it starts).

In this case, you have to find out the default resolution the game starts and set your desktop to that one, then start the game and set to the resolution you want, then put back your desktop at same resolution and it will work (ex UnrealTournament 2004 works in 800x600 default).

for some games you can set the resolution in their config.txt file (if any) and in that case you don't need the trick above.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem but on a laptop (HP nc8430/ATI Mobility X1600) i have NO external monitor connected.

I get a blue screen when changing resolution and a black screen when searching for monitors in the OS X Systemsettings.

QE/CI works and i have no problems with screensavers.

I can't be sure that you have the same problem that I had but I couldn't get Quicktime player to play xvid videos in full screen and after messing with all sorts of codecs and getting no results, I started messing around with the openGL.framework. I found that I could get full screen video when I imported the openGL.framework from version 10.5.4 into my installation of 10.5.1. Whether this will work for you, or cause damage to your installation, I can't say. But I suspect you are having an openGL issue.

Is there any way to know which video port is the primary and which is secondary by default. Also it there a way to switch secondary and primary ports.

I have had the same problem listed here with my 8600GT. I'm currently using the vga port, but I'd like to know if I can switch primary before I go out and by a dvi converter.

Thanks

Is there any way to know which video port is the primary and which is secondary by default. Also it there a way to switch secondary and primary ports.

I have had the same problem listed here with my 8600GT. I'm currently using the vga port, but I'd like to know if I can switch primary before I go out and by a dvi converter.

Thanks

Yup. Plugged it into the dvi output and viola! resolution change working now