10.5.3 update on Dell notebooks with GMA 950

3 posts in this topic

thought to give this it's own topic.

You need to enable sleep/wake activation on mouse over, e.g. corner of screen, before the update. When you get the black screen after boot, move mouse into active corner and the main laptop monitor will wake up. without artifacts!

more to my experience here

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

Just to be a little clearer on the instructions - apologies I just thought I may have done it incorrectly.

From the previous thread,

I have mentioned that:

1) I used Kalyway 10.5.2, tried your Jas 10.5.3 and then Kalyway 10.5.3 on top of it.

2) After Kalyway 10.5.3, screen remains black although I have put my right corner in expose/spaces to Sleep Display IF I move the mouse to right corner.

3) My kernel that I use is the 9.2.0 speedstep kernel - does this matter ? I think in your thread you chose the 9.3 Modbin kernel right?

Another question:

1) In expose/spaces, - I set to sleep display when i move the mouse to right top corner. -> is this all that is needed? as i can see some other options in expose/spaces to desktop/start screen saver, disable screensaver.

From what I can gathered, you are suggesting the 10.5.3 kexts GMA950 seems to be doing something to this? And the AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer is the same version as the tiger version 1.4.20 used all these while from 10.5.1 Iatkos/kalyway dvds !

I am going to try this again hehe

Hi there,

Just to be a little clearer on the instructions - apologies I just thought I may have done it incorrectly.

I am going to try this again hehe

From the previous thread,

I have mentioned that:

1) I used Kalyway 10.5.2, tried your Jas 10.5.3 and then Kalyway 10.5.3 on top of it.

it's probably OK to just install one of the two. Best to use Kalyway on Kalyway I think. Others have reported success with either one.

2) After Kalyway 10.5.3, screen remains black although I have put my right corner in expose/spaces to Sleep Display IF I move the mouse to right corner.
This may not work right away. I sometimes have to move the mouse into the corner a couple times. Since we don't see when boot is finished, we may be trying too early. Also, sometimes I move the mouse to the corner, then go back to main desktop, back to corner to wake it up. Try a number of times. At some point you get the hang of it.

3) My kernel that I use is the 9.2.0 speedstep kernel - does this matter ? I think in your thread you chose the 9.3 Modbin kernel right?

I am not sure if this matters. I only tried modbin and stock. It also works with stock kernel.

Another question:

1) In expose/spaces, - I set to sleep display when i move the mouse to right top corner. -> is this all that is needed? as i can see some other options in expose/spaces to desktop/start screen saver, disable screensaver.

that's all that was needed on mine. If you can set it up while you can see the desktop, I suggest to play with it a little to see how it works.

From what I can gathered, you are suggesting the 10.5.3 kexts GMA950 seems to be doing something to this? And the AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer is the same version as the tiger version 1.4.20 used all these while from 10.5.1 Iatkos/kalyway dvds !

I know for sure that old kexts give me artifacts. Only with a clean 10.5.3 Kalyway update I got rid of them with the payload of a black screen after boot. I assume (but I am not 100% sure) that this update uses 10.5.3 kexts.

good luck. you likely already got it but weren't able to activate sleep/wake correctly. Try more often and wait a little to make sure the system completed booting.