Should I switch distros?

Loagie

3 posts in this topic

Hi (put this in the wrong forum and am finally getting it reposted),

I had been tinkering with OSX on my laptop, which is a bit older (Pentium M 1.5G Toshiba Tecra A2 S336). It has mostly Intel circuits built in (an 855 chipset), and the troublesome Intel Pro 2200bg wireless.

I was running what I guess is somewhat dated now (10.4.9 "Uphuck" 1.4i R3), and am wondering if I should look into a newer or different version now that so many others are available.

FWIW, most stuff seemed properly detected with the full install, other than the wireless, which I got running for a while on the iwi_darwin drivers. Some of the settings for the display and touchpad weren't available though, and judging by the stuff that flies up the screen during boot, I suspect that a bunch of {censored} got installed that I didn't want or need. I'd prefer a somewhat small system.

Much Thanks!

George

PS- I successfully ruined the initial install and have not been able to reinstall with working wireless, using the same procedure as before. Figure it may save me some trouble to switch now for this next attempt.

Synaesthesia,

Thanks! Yeah, I have no problem sticking with that, and don't really want to install something newer just because I can. I mainly want small & tight, but thought maybe the others were better about some of the laptop component support or the wifi.

If I don't hear any other reason to switch, I'll go back to my Uphuck attempt and maybe read up some on the custom install and tweaks. On a couple tries, I deselected things which I would have sworn it wouldn't need, yet it mangled the install.

George

PS for anyone into "imaging" partitions- I also had trouble with Ghosting my OSX partition after the working install. As a standard safety, I do all my Windows installs with dos Ghost, right after setting them up. I managed to Ghost the OSX install, but somehow it wouldn't see the Mac partition as a valid destination when I tried to dump it back later. So I may need to switch my imaging app as well.