When integrated displays start to die...

pdotnet

2 posts in this topic

I have an older eMac. PPC, 1.25Ghz, 2GB ram, running 10.4.11. Considering it's age, it still does a great job. Except that the TUBE based screen I can tell is starting to die. There is high video interference whenever sound plays out of the internal speakers, and every 5 minutes a hideous high-pitched squeal comes out of the case. I've looked this up, it's the monitor.

So I already have a 24" widescreen LCD attached to my other desktop, which is a PC. I'm using DVI with my PC and the monitor has a vacant VGA port too, so great I can hook up both monitors to it! So I went over to the Mac store and picked up an old VGA adapter that fit this machine. Good thing they still had them! Plugged it in and the results were not what I expected at all.

First, I cannot figure out how to tell the Mac to stop using it's built-in display and to ONLY use the external VGA/LCD. If the integrated display is still running, then the high-pitched squeals still happen which makes working with it unbearable.

Second, when I ran "Detect Displays" button on my external monitor, it detected the full 1920x1200 resolution, but when I changed to it all I saw was a 1280x960 desktop picture (which is the same size as my integrated display) in the middle of my LCD screen with a large black border filling in the adjacent space. So even though I can output to the native resolution of my monitor, it's not actually resizing the desktop to fit the new resolution. It's just showing the CURRENT integrated resolution on a different screen it seems.

Needles to say, both issues make what I'm trying to do useless. The display preferences are so basic, I can't figure out if there are even any advanced settings to turn off the integrated display while an external is present. Is that even possible?

Also - has anyone tried hooking up a VGA adapter to a high res LCD screen and got it to fill the desktop to the entire size?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.