Dell gx280 Problem after install and reboot

17 posts in this topic

These are the specs:

GX280

2 512meg chips

2.8 Pentium 4HT CPU

500gig SATA

I have tried Kaly and iAtkos 2 and both times after I finish installing and reboot it goes to the Apple screen and the ticker spins then freezes after about 20 sec.

I have tried installing multiple ways and have problems every time.. Last one I tried was MBR with SSE2. I have also tried turning Hyperthreading on and off in the Bios...Not sure what to set it at. I have also turned off the lpt and serial ports.

I also have to boot with the DVD in the drive.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Hi- I just installed Kalyway 10.5.2 on my GX280 (GUID partition scheme) and it works for the most part. I even updated to 10.5.3 using the Kalyway 10.5.3 combo update. The only problems I have now are the System Profiler doesn't display all of the information about my system and the sleep functions do not work. Did you update to the latest Dell BIOS? I had a problem before I did that.

I also had a problem with the imbedded Broadcom Gig ethernet causing mouse freezing problems. I installed an Intel PCI ethernet card and disabled the Broadcom in the BIOS. Worked like a charm.

Hi- I just installed Kalyway 10.5.2 on my GX280 (GUID partition scheme) and it works for the most part. I even updated to 10.5.3 using the Kalyway 10.5.3 combo update. The only problems I have now are the System Profiler doesn't display all of the information about my system and the sleep functions do not work. Did you update to the latest Dell BIOS? I had a problem before I did that.

I also had a problem with the imbedded Broadcom Gig ethernet causing mouse freezing problems. I installed an Intel PCI ethernet card and disabled the Broadcom in the BIOS. Worked like a charm.

Do ou have hperthreading on in the bios and what options did ou choose when you installed?

Thanks!

Yes - hyperthreading is enabled. NIC is disabled. I don't recall changing anything with the parallel/serial ports. In fact, my two serial ports and even my add-in firewire card all show up when I go into the Network setup options in System Preferences. I'm not in front of that machine right now, and my memory is a little fuzzy - I also tried a few distros before I got Kalyway working. I am waiting for my new video card to arrive, then I am doing a fresh install. I'll take notes this time around.

Did you boot with the -v to see where it is getting stuck? Or maybe a -x -v to get into safe mode?

These are the specs:GX2802 512meg chips2.8 Pentium 4HT CPU500gig SATAI have tried Kaly and iAtkos 2 and both times after I finish installing and reboot it goes to the Apple screen and the ticker spins then freezes after about 20 sec.I have tried installing multiple ways and have problems every time.. Last one I tried was MBR with SSE2. I have also tried turning Hyperthreading on and off in the Bios...Not sure what to set it at. I have also turned off the lpt and serial ports.I also have to boot with the DVD in the drive.Any ideas?Thanks
I had that same computer to install osx86 on once... I used Kalyway 10.5.2 , it installed fine but when i rebooted it gave me an error, so i played around with some of the bios settings still didn't work.. So i said screw it... I turned it on the next day and it booted fine in to OSX, I was like WTF

Also maybe this will help uhttp://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...28&hl=GX280

I did try 10.5.2 kaly but I tried burning twice and both times when I start to boot a bunch of text starts and freezes. Not sure if maybe I got a bad download of it or not.

Also, on the gx280 is the Hyperthreaded enabled in the bios settings?

I figured out the problem, i did have to do what you said and disable the network in the bios...It then worked fine. Odd thing is that a GX280 I used from work installed 10.5.1 perfect with the network card and all worked... This machine I need to disable network, wonder if dell had different versions of Motherboard in the systems.

Only prob. now is that it will not show any usb drives when I plug them in...Any trick to this one?

Thanks for all the help!

Got the USB ports all working with the Tool I found in another posting.

Everything seems to be working good now.

Only issues I have left is stand-by and in iPhoto When I click on a pic it will not make it large size, that may be a issue with the video card but I am not sure.

• 2 months later...
Got the USB ports all working with the Tool I found in another posting.

Everything seems to be working good now.

Only issues I have left is stand-by and in iPhoto When I click on a pic it will not make it large size, that may be a issue with the video card but I am not sure.

what usb tool did you use to make the usb ports work?

specs:

gx280

p4 3.0ghz HT socket 775

80gb hdd

2gb pc4200

nvidia 6800gs oc

Hello !

config : Dell Optiflex GX280 - P4HT 3Ghz - 1Go - 40Go

I have only 2 problems : No Network and only 1024x768 on 20"

Install used Kalyway 10.5.2

What can i do to have native resolution of my 20" ??? for the network i don't understand what you say before...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The USB tool referred to above can be found here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...won't+sleep

If you are trying to get dual boot working with XP and Leo 10.5.2 on multi HDD With OSX on GUID format and XP on MBR see here for solution:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...amp;mode=linear

Make sure the second SATA drive is activited in the BIOS.

Anyone fix the sleep problem on the GX280 yet? I really should just buy a Mac...

Don

• 2 years later...
These are the specs:

GX280

2 512meg chips

2.8 Pentium 4HT CPU

500gig SATA

I have tried Kaly and iAtkos 2 and both times after I finish installing and reboot it goes to the Apple screen and the ticker spins then freezes after about 20 sec.

I have tried installing multiple ways and have problems every time.. Last one I tried was MBR with SSE2. I have also tried turning Hyperthreading on and off in the Bios...Not sure what to set it at. I have also turned off the lpt and serial ports.

I also have to boot with the DVD in the drive.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Try Disabling NIC In BIOS