VERY loud beep from MBP

5 posts in this topic

I have NO idea what is going on here. I've got a Macbook Pro "2,2" (not 2.2GHz, but the hardware version is 2,2), that is, the first gen with a Core 2 Duo (2.16GHz).

Now and then, perhaps a week or two apart, there's a VERY loud beep (just a single one) from the left side. I'm not sure if it comes from the speaker or not. The only thing I've noticed is that right afterwards, the volume of everything is really low. Restarting iTunes usually returns the music to normal volume. Nothing else seems to happen, and I haven't noticed anything causing it, either, seems to be pretty random.

The computer is always standing perfectly still on a desk, btw (I found something about the sudden motion sensor when googling IIRC). Nothing interesting in the logs.

Any ideas? ;)

• 2 weeks later...
I have NO idea what is going on here. I've got a Macbook Pro "2,2" (not 2.2GHz, but the hardware version is 2,2), that is, the first gen with a Core 2 Duo (2.16GHz).

Now and then, perhaps a week or two apart, there's a VERY loud beep (just a single one) from the left side. I'm not sure if it comes from the speaker or not. The only thing I've noticed is that right afterwards, the volume of everything is really low. Restarting iTunes usually returns the music to normal volume.

exscape, a similar problem just happened to me -- an extremely loud beep came from my right speaker while I was watching a DVD using VLC player. Now the sound level seems to be lowered -- the maximum sound volume is equivalent to maybe 30% of the original. i've tried restarting iTunes and VLC player, but that didn't work. will try restarting next. the thing is, this sort of thing just shouldn't be happening! Just had my left I/O port replaced (previously had to have my LCD screen replaced!), and am not looking forward to doing without my mac again!

i have a 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro with 3rd party RAM, and running on OS 10.5.3.