New OSx86 Comp dead after connecting to G5 w firewire

7 posts in this topic

Hi, right after setting up my new OSx86 computer I managed to terminate it by doing as follows:

Started my old G5 (dual 1,8) in Firewire disk Target mode (press "T" while startup, the apple will now act as a firewire drive) and connected it to my new machine with a firewire cable. Both machines were running.

The new computer (specs below) immediately shut down, and could´nt be brought back to life since.

No fans running on power on, no startup screen, nothing.

Tested PSU by bridging the power ATX connector (green black) and fans are spinning, supplies attached HD w power, so is ok.

Only with connected motherboard no go.

Please help !

My config is:

Core 2 Duo 3 Ghz Socket 775

GA-G33M-DS2R Motherboard

Antec NSK 3480 case

Asus ATI EAH 3650 grafics

4 GB Kingston RAM

Seagate HD SATA 2 250 GB

Kalyway 10.5.2

Only "fault" in this config to my knowledge is the power supply unit. That provides only 380 Watts instead of 400 Watts suggested in description of motherboard. (only learned after purchase)

Thanks for your kind help !

I know that Apple FireWire ports often supply up to 28V, which may be higher than what the onboard FireWire chip was able to handle. There have been multiple issues with Apple FireWire and USB ports causing other devices to blow up as a result of supplying too much power.

Try taking the battery of your Hack's motherboard out, letting it sit for at least an hour, unplug it from the wall first.

Try a stronger PSU if you have one handy.

Good Luck.

Thanks for your prompt answers.

Dinner_Plate s hint on high voltage on Apple Comp firewireports seems very probable. Maybe there are more sources for this phenomenon on the web, couldnt find any on a quick search.

Think it could be a good idea to put out a general warning to connect Apple comps to hackintoshes via firewire. Which to me, as a long time Apple user, seems a very probable behaviour after setting up a system to match the data of new and old machines.

Anyway did more testing on the mobo in question and it definetly and sadly went down the river.

A potential solution to prevent this problem in the future (or rather, a couple solutions).

1, use a 6 pin to 4 pin firewire cable an the 4 pin 1394a plug on the back of your PC (many pc's come with the 4 pin connector, though god knows why). the 6 pin configuration carries voltage, and the 4 pin does not.

2, extract your hard drive from your mac when you do the transfer, and forget the firewire. If you plug it into a SATA port, it'll be faster anyways.

bummer about your mobo dude, hopefully this can be prevented for others.

Hi, thanks for the message. Yeah particularily hint 1) seems n easy solution, though shy to try on my comp. Will connect old HD trough external SATA as you said in hint 2). Or maybe just try good old ethernet.

Hopefully my mobo goes on warranty. Greetings.

Here is the information I was referring to.

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/archives/aug04/...04.html#S17946v

My earlier post was not strictly correct, It seems many MDD and G5 models have FireWire voltage up to 28V, which is supplied by the unique 28V rail on Power Mac PSUs, from early G4s up to the G5 models. The 28V rail supplied power to connected ADC displays (Apple Display Connector.)