Darwin / Vista bootloader

Ravennl80

6 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have Vista and OSX installed on the same HDD on 2 different partitions. At the moment I have the Vista bootloader active and all working well. I can start Vista and OSX from it.

But when I choose OSX i get another bootloader, darwin bootloader and again I can choose which of the operating systems I want to boot from.

TBH 1 bootloader is enough and I only want to use the Vista bootloader but how can I remove the Darwin Bootloader now?

thanks

Well I dont know how to completely remove the Darwin bootloader, but you can do this.

When you open up the boot.plist file (l/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist) you will see some code like this....

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">'>http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1280x1024x32</string>

<key>Quiet Boot</key>

<string>No</string>

<key>Boot Graphics</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>10</string>

</dict>

</plist>

You can change the Quiet Boot to YES and the TIMEOUT to 0.

Im pretty sure that will boot straight into osx without the darwin prompt.

So the code will look something like this when your done.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1280x1024x32</string>

<key>Quiet Boot</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Boot Graphics</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>0</string>

</dict>

</plist>

Agreed, just set it to something quick like a second and you'll barely notice the Darwin bootloader.

I think I have mine set to 3 which still provides a fast boot, but gives me time to throw it some keys if I need to boot abnormally.

• 2 months later...

greetz,

i have the same thing going on, but with windows xp. now the darwin bootloader is set (by default, not by me) to load xp. so if i do nothing, the machine powers up, then it loads the xp blootloader from the active partition, which is set to load osx (chain0). then the osx bootloader starts and that loads the windows one and so on..

so i have to manually select OSX in the darwin bootloader to load leopard.

i've searched all over the forums and google, but no topic tells me how to remove an entry from the darwin bootloader or just make OSX default.

can anybody point me in the right direction?

thanks,

bamdad