Which cooler for my Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R (socket 775) / G4 Quicksilver case ?

Cologne69

4 posts in this topic

Hi,

im just going to mod my G4 Quicksilver case but im not sure which cooler i should buy for my CPU. Im afraid that i buy the wrong one which doesnt fit into my case :) I have already the Aretic Cooler Freezer 7 LP and the Zalman 8700 in my mind which is designed for "small cases" :)

Any other suggestion ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best,

Cologne69

Hi,

im just going to mod my G4 Quicksilver case but im not sure which cooler i should buy for my CPU. Im afraid that i buy the wrong one which doesnt fit into my case :angel: I have already the Aretic Cooler Freezer 7 LP and the Zalman 8700 in my mind which is designed for "small cases" ;)

Any other suggestion ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best,

Cologne69

The Freezer 7 pro is garbage that has somehow attained a cult following. It cools alright, but the quality is awful. I doubt this lp version is much better. The only decent thing Thermaltake makes is their little Spirit II NB cooler, and that was probably an accident. The Zalman is a decent commodity sink that is well made but way overpriced. None of these mainstream money wasters in the flashy boxes are even in the same ballpark with Thermalright or Noctua, but these companies don't make LP sinks because, well, LP sinks just don't work all that much better than stock. Given the choice out of the two I'd go with the Zalman because the quality is better.

You might want to see if a Thermalright Ultima 90 or a Noctua NH-U9B will fit. Neither one of these are cheap (the Thermalright will be more because you have to add a fan), but you are paying for quality and performance instead of marketing hype, fancy boxes, and spinning leds. Plus, using a Noctua fan on either of these (obviously the NH-U9B comes with one) willl give you an almost dead quiet unit. These are the type of units real performance enthusiasts used (although smaller versions). The commodity retail box stuff is more for your spinning lights and glowing windows demographic who care more about looks than true performance. I like to compare these folks to the guys who have Hondas with big wings and stickers on them, but nothing under the hood. :)