10.5.3 left me with a mess of trouble - PLEASE READ

3 posts in this topic

Ok, long story short.

I was running Kalaway 10.5.2, I tried to do the 10.5.3 upgrade (as instructed in these forums), but my computer froze at the end. Something got messed up and it wouldn't boot at all, just kept rebooting. I thought "No problem, I'll just do what I do everytime this happens" ...I booted off of the CD and replaced the new mach_kernel with the old one (10.5.1). Still no luck!

So I booted off of the Kalaway 10.5.1 DVD again and reinstalled Leopard OVER my existing install. When I rebooted I got the b0 error, when I booted with the DVD in the drive I would just get the circle with the slash through it. So seeing that I was getting the b0 error I booted into single user mode and ran fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0 and set the correct partition active (2). I rebooted, now I'm getting the HFS+ partition error.

I feel like I've taken the necessary steps to try to resolve this, but still no luck. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Does anyone know of any other tools out there that will resolve this? PLEASE HELP! Thanks for your time.

I wasn't aware of the combo update from Kaly and did the normal update too. I ended up deleting /System/Library/Extensions.mkext and /System/Library/Extensions/AppleCPUIntel...kext, and editing the install script to load dsmos.kext. I can now boot up, but I get a login prompt (which I normally don't see) that won't let me into OS X. I type in the login info and it pops me right back to the login prompt.

FWIW, I edited my files from my Windows partition via MacDrive.

Any advise?