JaS OSX86 10.5.3 Intel SSE3 Combo Update + SMB Fix

57 posts in this topic

No problem! I was excited to help other people get it working after I solved it for myself. What video card and motherboard are you using? You may have to experiment in single user mode and put the stuff in more slowly until you find which file or files are the culprit. As long as you back up the files before you replace them, you can put things back.

I'm running on a GMA950, Intel... I'm not that good on replacing files with terminal yet... :(

I'm keeping the system on version 10.5.0 for now and will research a little on kernel changes... :(

But thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, JaS update working quite well from Kalyway 10.5.2

Three slight problems in the update that had been working fine in 10.5.2....

SMB sharing still not working, even with the SMB update (ran it twice for good measure). The network is OK - I can do screen sharing with JollyFastVNC, but have troubles logging on to the other servers. They show up in the Finder list, but won't let me connect - Ironically the only one I could connect to normally was a PC....

The next two problems happened with JaS update and with Kalyway combo update (but had been working fine in 10.5.2):

USB problems - USB devices (mouse, keyboard, etc) are not recognized unless already plugged in at startup. This is kindof a pain, but not a huge deal. I tried replacing the kexts with the old ones, but no help.

Finally, in the energy saver sys pref panel, there is no option to show the battery meter.

Any help with the above issues would be appreciated. And many thanks to JaS for all the fine work. Looking forward to a complete 10.5.3 install, which might solve some of the problems... :)

thank you for the info!

nice to read that I'm not alone!

will try to play around with the kext and see if I have success and report back!

what did you have to edit in the kexts?

mystius C posts in his thread on updating to 10.5.3 how to really easily clone the boot partition, so you can have a test partition without having to reinstall after breaking a system!

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=109102

with mysticous' update i couldn't manage to get to the gui and JaS' update worked out of the box, excluding the grafic issue which, like already stated, may not be jas' fault.

booting with an other kernel solved the long boot time for me!

Hi Jul_k, I have a 7300LE too, and im wondering what kexts i should edit to get my system running fine.

I updated to 10.5.3 using jas's update and I have QE/CI but blank menus and funky text in system preferences.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just want to say Thanks first off to jas, this update worked for me - Yeeha!

I was running Kalyway 10.5.2 - tried that 10.5.3 combo update and nothing but issues.

Reinstalled Kalyway 10.5.2 distro and this time used jas 10.5.3 update and no issues other than sound so far (got sound working again though)!

I have to apologize before I ask this though, how the heck do i rename mach_kernel so i can boot with 9.30 exclusively? I know i have to rename the mach_kernel but how? Is it done through terminal?

please if someone can help me along - that is the only thing left and i am done. I dont want to screw things up now - have come to far if you know what i mean ;-)

Thanks again.