working 5.1 card in 10.5?

tlevis

4 posts in this topic

Hi,

I've already tried two sound cards without success. The problem is that through S/PDIF i can't get 5.1 sound.

- Terratec Aureon 5.1 PCI (CMI8378), works but only in stereo

- Terratec Aureon USB MK II, only in stereo also.

Could anyone recommend an internal or external sound card that would work? I know how to set it up once the card would work. ;) Thanks.

Now I've ordered Creative Surround 5.1 USB. Can anyone confirm will this work?

• 5 months later...

I bought a Terratec Aureon Dual USB (also has an S/PDIF out) in order to use my laptop as a media computer, but I had the same problem! Then I bought the Terratec Aureon 5.1 MKII USB... Well, it has a "5.1" in the name, so it should support 5.1, right? :(WRONG!!! It does not support 5.1 audio over S/PDIF! If that's not false advertising, I don't know what is!

UPDATE: I sent the question to the support at Terratec and after a week I got a reply that says that it requires a special DVD player that handles AC3/DTS pass-through via USB audio, one such as Intervideo WinDVD4.

I'm definitely not happy...

I bought a Terratec Aureon Dual USB (also has an S/PDIF out) in order to use my laptop as a media computer, but I had the same problem! Then I bought the Terratec Aureon 5.1 MKII USB... Well, it has a "5.1" in the name, so it should support 5.1, right? ;)WRONG!!! It does not support 5.1 audio over S/PDIF! If that's not false advertising, I don't know what is!

UPDATE: I sent the question to the support at Terratec and after a week I got a reply that says that it requires a special DVD player that handles AC3/DTS pass-through via USB audio, one such as Intervideo WinDVD4.

I'm definitely not happy...

Virtually all 5.1 soundcards only support 5.1 as a pass-through for AC3/DTS encoded streams via the SPDIF.

To get 5.1 from other sources (games etc) requires 1 of 2 things:

1. Multiple analogue outputs. Normally in the form of 3 x 2 channel outputs (FL+FR, SL + SR and SW + centre) - This is by far the most common.

2. Dolby Digital Live and/or DTS Connect support

The DDL/DTSC option is the best, whether this is available via any Mac solution, I do not know. A quick search shows that AppleTV supports DDL but how you would possibly tap into that, I do not know.

• 4 weeks later...
Virtually all 5.1 soundcards only support 5.1 as a pass-through for AC3/DTS encoded streams via the SPDIF.

This one is a USB card and definitelly does not support pass-through.

Terratec even says on a smallprint in their FAQ page (see Question 3) that it does not support pass-through without a special player. That is, you can forget any other AC3 filters and players you've been using.

Conveniently, they don't write that on the product box, but let you first buy it then figure out yourself.