Vista Bootloader gone......need Leopard HDD bootable!

6 posts in this topic

Ok, I am having some problems making my Leopard installation bootable. I have been running for a good while in a Dual Boot Enviorionment ( Windows Vista Ultimate & Leopard). Each OS was installed on it's own HDD. Everything is going great in OSX so I have decided to do away with the Dual boot Environment, and run just OSX natively.

My original install was iATKOS, updated with KalywayComboUpdater for 10.5.2. Kernel updated to Netkas 10.2 Kernel. All running beautifully! I was booting up using the Windows Bootloader and picking my OS (Chain0 file on the root of the Vista drive, and GUID).

I used VMWARE Converter to convert my Vista installation to a Virtual machine to run in VMWare Fusion on top of OSX. This went smoothly. So the next step was to to Ghost my Leopard drive to the HDD where Vista had been installed (I was doing this b/c the Vista drive is SATA 3.0 & the drive Leopard was on is SATA 150.

I booted up from a Ghost 8 CD and Ghosted the Leopard drive to the old Vista drive. The newly ghosted drive was not bootable, but with the iATKOS CD in the drive, I was able to boot into Leopard to verify everything was working.

While I had 2 copies of OSX I figured now was a good time to test on the new drive in case I broke something. :thumbsup_anim: I used KextHelper to install the NetKas version of AppleSMBIOS.kext, resolving my issues with Adobe apps. Rebooted fine and back into OSX........still with the iATKOS disc in the drive of course. However, on the next reboot, I tried to boot from the iATKOS disc to install the Darwin EFI boot to the disc from the terminal, and now I'm getting the damn "Waiting for root device" error message! I don't know what happened to cause this all of a sudden. Booting from Leopard4All V3 DVD works fine, but this installer doesn't include the manual Darwin installer like the iATKOS DVD did. So my question is:

How can I make this drive directly bootable to Mac OS? Darwin should already be on the disc correct? When I ghosted from the original leopard drive, I used the switches to force cloning & Image Boot switch which is supposed to copy the boot track on the source disk. It is my understanding that all the Vista Bootloader was doing was pointing the Mac OSX to boot from the second HDD with the GUID of the HDD, and once it knew where to look, it fired off Darwin to boot OSX. Am I correct? Or am I missing something? What do I need to do to make my OSX HDD directly bootable now that the Vista Bootloader is gone? Any help is extremely appreciated.

Ok, I am having some problems making my Leopard installation bootable. I have been running for a good while in a Dual Boot Enviorionment ( Windows Vista Ultimate & Leopard). Each OS was installed on it's own HDD. Everything is going great in OSX so I have decided to do away with the Dual boot Environment, and run just OSX natively.

My original install was iATKOS, updated with KalywayComboUpdater for 10.5.2. Kernel updated to Netkas 10.2 Kernel. All running beautifully! I was booting up using the Windows Bootloader and picking my OS (Chain0 file on the root of the Vista drive, and GUID).

I used VMWARE Converter to convert my Vista installation to a Virtual machine to run in VMWare Fusion on top of OSX. This went smoothly. So the next step was to to Ghost my Leopard drive to the HDD where Vista had been installed (I was doing this b/c the Vista drive is SATA 3.0 & the drive Leopard was on is SATA 150.

I booted up from a Ghost 8 CD and Ghosted the Leopard drive to the old Vista drive. The newly ghosted drive was not bootable, but with the iATKOS CD in the drive, I was able to boot into Leopard to verify everything was working.

While I had 2 copies of OSX I figured now was a good time to test on the new drive in case I broke something. :( I used KextHelper to install the NetKas version of AppleSMBIOS.kext, resolving my issues with Adobe apps. Rebooted fine and back into OSX........still with the iATKOS disc in the drive of course. However, on the next reboot, I tried to boot from the iATKOS disc to install the Darwin EFI boot to the disc from the terminal, and now I'm getting the damn "Waiting for root device" error message! I don't know what happened to cause this all of a sudden. Booting from Leopard4All V3 DVD works fine, but this installer doesn't include the manual Darwin installer like the iATKOS DVD did. So my question is:

How can I make this drive directly bootable to Mac OS? Darwin should already be on the disc correct? When I ghosted from the original leopard drive, I used the switches to force cloning & Image Boot switch which is supposed to copy the boot track on the source disk. It is my understanding that all the Vista Bootloader was doing was pointing the Mac OSX to boot from the second HDD with the GUID of the HDD, and once it knew where to look, it fired off Darwin to boot OSX. Am I correct? Or am I missing something? What do I need to do to make my OSX HDD directly bootable now that the Vista Bootloader is gone? Any help is extremely appreciated.

Install the Darwin bootloader using the iATKOS DVD. A bootloader is still a bootloader. :)

That is the problem! I can't boot to the iATKOS Install DVD! I keeps giving the "Waiting for Root Device" message. I boot from the DVD, press F8 and then use the -v to load in Verbose mode. If I could get into the Installer, I could re-install Darwin Boot from the Terminal. However, Leoard4All DVD will boot, but it doesn't have the option to install the Darwin Bootloader.

• 4 months later...