S.M.A.R.T. Errors on new hard drive

2 posts in this topic

I have installed "SMART Utility" on my brand new MacBook Pro to check the health of its Hitachi hard drive. Obviously, I thought that it would be perfect but I can read that 4 errors have happened already! Here is the content of the Error Log:

Number - Time Occured - Error - Prior Command

4 - 81 hours - Uncorrectable Error - READ DMA EXT

3 - 81 hours - Uncorrectable Error - READ DMA EXT

2 - 81 hours - Uncorrectable Error - READ DMA EXT

1 - 81 hours - Uncorrectable Error - READ DMA EXT

However, the overall status of the drive is "PASSED", there is no bad sector, crc error, etc. Do you know what are these errors? Can they be safely ignored? Then, is there a way to clear the Error Log of the drive??

I have installed "SMART Utility" on my brand new MacBook Pro to check the health of its Hitachi hard drive. Obviously, I thought that it would be perfect but I can read that 4 errors have happened already! Here is the content of the Error Log:

Number - Time Occured - Error - Prior Command

4 - 81 hours - Uncorrectable Error - READ DMA EXT

3 - 81 hours - Uncorrectable Error - READ DMA EXT

2 - 81 hours - Uncorrectable Error - READ DMA EXT

1 - 81 hours - Uncorrectable Error - READ DMA EXT

However, the overall status of the drive is "PASSED", there is no bad sector, crc error, etc. Do you know what are these errors? Can they be safely ignored? Then, is there a way to clear the Error Log of the drive??

Those shouldn't hurt it but if it's brand new and still under warranty, there really is no reason you shouldn't send it back if they'll replace it.