Tips and Tricks to Install LEOPARD 10.5.2

vpatel91

4 posts in this topic

OK, after almost 3 months of trying to install, I finally got my computer working with Leopard 10.5.2. This post is designed to help some of those who get some common errors during or after installation.

Before I start, my specs are

Sony VAIO RB30

3.0 ghz Pentium 4 HT (hyperthreading)

1.5 gb RAM

200 gb Serial ATA HDD

Realtek AC97 HD (built in audio)

ATI Radeon x800xl Video Card - 256mb RAM (id: 554d)

First of all, when you are installing, I suggest downloading at least 2 of the major releases (i.e --> Kalyway, iAtkos, Leo4all, etc..). I say this because if one doesnt work, you have a backup on hand and can see if that works.

Here are some common errors that I encountered and the solutions I came up with:

Installation constantly FAILS - when your partition/format dont put a space (or special characters) in the name.

Format as Apple Journaled (Extended) and name the volume Leopard or MAC (no spaces - no special characters)

EBIOS read error: Device timeout -- something along these lines

This error simply means that your DVD is not good. Boot back into your normal OS, and reburn the image at a slower speed. HOWEVER, don't try to burn at 1x if your DVD burner cant go that slow (this will also cause a bad burn)

/com.apple.Boot.plist not found -- this usually comes up before installation

Once again, this error means your DVD burn was corrupted, so burn again at the slowest speed possible for your DVD media and DVD burner.

Still waiting for root device - the infamous error that mostly everyone has received.

The only way I found to fix this was to use a different DVD release.

(I tried Leo4all and got the error -- then I used Kalyway and it fixed it) However, Kalyway will not be the best solution for everyone, so just experiment with whatever DVD release works best for your particular computer.

----- In some posts that I read, some people suggested disabling the LAN ROM option in the BIOS. This, however did not work for me.

After installation, only a white screen comes up

Installation will succedd, but a white screen comes up and freezes. Every time I encountered this error, it was due to me randomly checking video drivers in the CUSTOMIZE menu during installation.

IF YOUR CARD (OR ANY OTHER DEVICE i.e. network / wireless card) DO NOT SELECT A DRIVER IN THAT CATEGORY.

Most of the time, when I dont select anything, that particular device still works. For example, the ATI x800xl card was not listed, so I left the GRAPHICS drivers unchecked. It still worked, except for a problem with changing the resolution (which I will cover next)

After installation, everything works, but you cant set your resolution (most people will be stuck at 1024 x 768)

I tried so many methods, and had to reinstall every time because the methods would break my installation. I finally found something that worked for my card (ATI RADEON x800xl (id: 554d))

FIRST RESEARCH YOUR CARD EXTENSIVELY ON GOOGLE AND OTHER FORUMS. THERE MAY BE A SAFER AND EASIER WAY TO SOLVE THE RESOLUTION PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This next part gets really long and tricky so read the instructions carefully and follow them closely.

This will allow you to test Koverg patch and Callisto patch all in about 2-3 scripts.

Step 0: Download >> http://z0rz.com/files/ATIScript.z0rz.v0.1.zip

Step 1: Determine your device ID. Use System Profiler and go to the GRAPHICS/DISPLAYS

Step 2: Open up Terminal and cd to the folder you just downloaded, which has all the folders in it. (It should be in the ATI Proj folder) Something like cd ~/Desktop/ATIScript.z0rz.v0.2/ATIProj may work (drag and drop also works)

Step 3: Type sudo ./builddoe.sh 55 4d (Replacing 55 4d with your device ID - My device id for my x800xl was 0x554d - Make sure you put a space in it.)

Step 4: Type cat doeoptions | more (This allows you to see another short readme) READ THE OPTIONS THAT ARE PRINTED AFTER YOU TYPE THIS, AND USE IT FOR THE NEXT STEP.

Step 5: Type sudo ./doe.sh $1 $2 $3 $4 (Replacing the $NUMBER with the options listed in the doeoptions file) You should be done. Now reboot (sudo reboot is very fast).

Example:

sudo ./doe.sh cal8 1280x1024x32 1 0

THIS IS NOT MY GUIDE, IT WAS MADE BY SOMEONE ELSE, SO BE WARNED THAT I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF ANYTHING HAPPENS THAT MAY SCREW UP YOUR INSTALL. ALL I CAN SAY IS THAT IT WORKED FOR ME.

------

Dual booting b/w XP and Leopard (using Darwin bootloader)

If you already have XP installed and dont want to erase it, download a partition manager (I used Paragon)

Allocate about 40-50 gb for Mac, and leave it UNFORMATED. Restart and it will partition your HDD.

Next put in the OSX86 DVD, and go to UTILITIES --> DISK UTILITIES from the top menu. Wait for it to load, and on the left, look for the partition you just made in windows, and click on it.

(1)Now in the middle, click on the 'Erase' tab.

It will now show three buttons 'Erase free space', 'Security options' and 'Erase'.

(2) Type in a name for it, E.g "Leopard" NO SPACES

(3) Now choose 'Mac journaled - extended' in the drop down menu above where you type in a name.

(4) Now finally you click on 'Erase', and a menu pops up, Click on 'Erase' again.

(5) Now quit Disk Utility

(6) Customize your options before install and then install - Skip the DVD check

(7) Reboot, but keep the DVD in the drive. Let the installer boot up again, but this time go to UTILITIES --> TERMINAL, from the top menu

(8) Type diskutil list and look to see the disk and partition your Leopard system is on (mine was disk0s3) → ( 0 is the disk ||and|| 3 is the partition for me)

(9) Now type fdisk -e /dev/rdiskX where X is the disk number from the previous line ( 0 in my case, I would type rdisk0)

*** note that there is a space between fdisk, and -e, and /dev

(10) Then type update

(11) Then type f Y where Y is the partition number for your Leopard (3 in my case, I would type f 3)

(12) Now type q , you'll get a warning, just type in yes

(13) Reboot WITHOUT the DVD in the drive, and press any key and you should get a list of options, Leopard or XP. The default after 5 seconds is LEOPARD, and I havent figured out how to fix this, so anyone if you know, please message or email me.

• 6 months later...
/com.apple.Boot.plist not found -- this usually comes up before installation

Once again, this error means your DVD burn was corrupted, so burn again at the slowest speed possible for your DVD media and DVD burner.

i'm always having this problem even i've burned the disc @ 1x. why? :)

i've tried @ max (16x), 2.4x and even 1x.

watt's wrong with it, is the image corrupted or watt?

try adding a BIOS password

i got the problem every time and burned many dvds

i read on here some whre that its got to do with the boot up timing and setting a bios password will fix it...

just as a tip i used ' as my password cuz its the key rite next to the enter lol

i'm always having this problem even i've burned the disc @ 1x. why? :unsure:

i've tried @ max (16x), 2.4x and even 1x.

watt's wrong with it, is the image corrupted or watt?

From Mickey Mouse:

OoOOPPpPPSSss.... com.apple.boot.plist not found... and now?

Your dvd need a patch cause you use Jmicron controller... grab here a patch to solve that issue:

http://rapidshare.com/files/131468603/i ... on-fix.zip

You will need the application ppf-o-matic to apply the patch to your ISO, record it again and...