Intel Pentium D 950 Processor

2 GB Memory

Saphire HD 2600 XT Video Card

Dual UXGA LCD Monitors

Logitech LX 300 Wireless Keyboard and Mouse USB

320GB IDE HD for OS X 5.2

LG Dual Layer DVD-RW

Leo4All OSX 10.5.2

I have a question if anyone is encountering the same issue with the user interface using the OS X operating system. I've successfully got all of the above hardware working with both 10.4.8 and now 10.5.2. However, I've noticed a rather annoying issue when using either a keyboard for input or a mouse on the user interface.

While typing the keyboard input seems to pause every 6-8 seconds and then buffers characters for a few seconds before displaying the characters that were typed. I've tried several settings to improve this but haven't had any success. I've also tried to use a standard 101 key PS/2 style keyboard to see if it was the wireless keyboard but had the same results. (Occurs in terminal, NeoOffice, Safari, Firefox, Thunderbird...)

I also seem to notice that if I pass the mouse arrow cursor across the Launch pad on the screen that sometimes it will stop on an Icon for a few seconds similar to the duration that I have been seeing when typing. Works fine for about 6-8 seconds as I pass the cursor over the Launch pad and then just freezes for a couple seconds before allowing the mouse to move again.

The mouse issue I can cope with but the keyboard entry is painfully annoying.

I haven't used Macs for about 5 years but I'm sure this doesn't exist on the real thing so I must have something on my system that is causing this. Has anyone else seen this effect?

Thanks in advance,

DAJKAB

Hi,

I have a compaq preaario F730US laptop. Its an AMD machine and I've always assumed that the problem is because of the decrypts required on AMD. But I have a similar problem. The keyboard buufers in the middle, the mouse is a bit jittery and the sound sttuters. In fact - sometimes the entire gui sttuters unless I keep moving the mouse. I found a diff with the kernel flags idlehalt=0 and cpus=2. Maybe that can help.

Hi,

I have a compaq preaario F730US laptop. Its an AMD machine and I've always assumed that the problem is because of the decrypts required on AMD. But I have a similar problem. The keyboard buufers in the middle, the mouse is a bit jittery and the sound sttuters. In fact - sometimes the entire gui sttuters unless I keep moving the mouse. I found a diff with the kernel flags idlehalt=0 and cpus=2. Maybe that can help.

Thanks for your reply.

I tried the recommended kernel flags but there didn't seem to be any change in the user interface. The keyboard input still pauses while typing and buffers input for a second or two every seven or eight seconds.

Video display has been very good on my system very quick and much sharper than I've seen using XP Pro.

Try for a change booting using the -legacy flag. If it boots at all with that one - YMMV

Or with cpus=0. I know, I know, but trust me on this one - it won't destroy your CPU at all..

Try different AppleSMBIOS.kext and/or AppleACPI.kext - it might be a PS/2-related thing, since you computer does have PS/2 ports.