Alienware m5550 Audio/video problem

8 posts in this topic

Hi there,

I have a problem with my audio on my Alienware m5550 notebook

I have installed iAtkos 2.0i

everything is working except my audio and video

first audio, i only get audio via headphones after a clean install. then ive got only 1 thing in the output list "HD Audio Output"

my audio device is an ALC880, the strange thing is that if i go to system profiler it says: Device ID: 0x15849077

i find this a very strange number because all the others with an ALC880 have a number with 880 on the end.

i tried the following things:

• edit the applehda.kext and add the device number (not working)
  • beta4some861_880models (not working)
  • ALC880_Leo patch from this post http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=96398 (i got now in the ouput list Headphones wich are not working anymore and something else but i dont remember what. in the input list are now standing the internal speakers 3 times.)
  • AppleHDA patcher (not working, even with my own created dump file B) )

second video,

i have a x1400 and i've made it so far, now i have quartz extreme supported. the only thing is the resolution.

i can't get it to 1280x800. i tried to do it by adding the <key>Graphics Mode</key><string>1280x800x32</string> line into the boot.plist, that doesn't work for me.

also i've tried to insert the line "Graphics Mode"="1280x800x32" at the darwin boot loader, that doesn't work either.

i'm searching for 2 days now and i really want to get this working.

I hope someone has a solution. :unsure:

System Specs:

Motherboard 915GM

Intel Dual core T7200 @2.00Ghz

Ati mobility x1400

1gb ram

Intel HD audio

Intel Wireless 3945ABG

speedy61 if you dont mind it would be great if you would tell me the steps that you took to install iatkos 2.0i on your alienware m5500 because i have an older m5500 (the one with an x700 video card) and i cant get the bootloader to install properly (when i used 1.0ir2). So basically id love you to tell me the steps you took for 2.0i so i dont have to mess with the install 400 times like i did the the release of 1.0ir.

Thank you in advance whether you give me the steps or not. ill try and look around to see if theres a way to get your resolution to 1280 X 800.

System Specs:

Pentium M 2.0 ghz SSE2 and SSE3 (worked for 1.0 ir)

2 gb Ballistix RAM

ATI Mobility Radeon X700 PCIE (worked on 1.0 ir)

Linksys wireless card bg 2200 (didnt work on 1.0ir because there werent any preconfigured drivers and the kext i used to install it failed the system)

Ethernet card= some type of generic that worked when i installed 1.0ir

Realtek HD Audio (worked on 1.0 ir)

Hi tcozman,

I only have selected on the installer the main package and bootloader.

is your partition id set to AF? if not it will not boot so i have some instructions to do so.

1. Start up a terminal from the install disk

2. su to root

3. Start the fdisk command, supplying the path to your disks' "whole disk" node. Mine (on primary master) was /dev/rdisk0 - yours may vary if you have other HDs installed, and the -e flag (interactive mode).

Example: fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

* You should be greeted by a prompt like: fdisk: 1>

4. Proceed to edit the partition entry where MAC is installed, by typing: edit "partition number" (without quotes)

5. You will be prompted for four pieces of information:

* Partition Id: AF (BSD or HFS+ partition ID, I think)

* CHS mode: n (to use sector counts instead)

* Partition offset: accept the default (it starts directly after the previous partition)

* Partition size: accept the default (it uses as much free contiguous space as possible)

6. Write the partition table to disk, by typing: write

* You probably will be told that the partition table could not be written to the disk, and prompted as to whether you wish it written on next reboot. Tell it: y

7. Quit fdisk, by typing: quit

8. Reboot your machine.

I hope this works for you.

Thanks Speedy!

I forgot to mention that i no longer have Iatkos 1.0ir on my machine....i removed it because i tried so many times and got sick of the amount of times i had to reload the vista bootloader....bootrec.exe.....fixboot.exe....But anyways i just got done downloading iatkos 2.0i this morning (it took about 16 hours for me even though my downstream is 650 k/b per second.) Concerning your questions about the video card and sound card etc. Specifically ill be looking at your resolution problem the most and hopefully i can get back to you today or tomorrow.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I got Video to work on my alienware I have an m5550 with the nvidia 7600gs. I installed an nvidia driver package from somewhere...i got to find the link but if you search for the nvidia driver for 7XX series cards it will work for you; i got 1920x1200 resolution with all the graphic effects working flawlessly. I just cant get sound to work either :( other thing that doesnt work is wireless (its an intel 3945abg that isnt supported yet) also check here lots of drivers:http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/3rdPartyDrivers

update; the nvidia driver package youre looking for is: NVInstallerV.41.pkg this is what's working for my nvidia 7600GS