Inspiron 1720 installation problems

zmckin2007

16 posts in this topic

Hey there guys, I've been looking over the forums recently for information regarding some of the errors I've been getting while trying to install Leopard. It looks something like this "panic (cpu 0 caller #######) Unable to find driver for this platform ACPI" and after "ACPI" it shows some path to something on the boot dvd. This is as far as I get with it, I can't even get to an installer screen. This is with iATKOSv2 btw. I did find one other post that describes a problem exactly like mine but it is close to dead so I decided to repost.

My Hardware is as follows:

2GHz intel core 2 duo

2GB RAM

120GB SATA HD(Set to AHCI in bios)

Nvidia 8600M GT

My bios is of course standard dell inspiron 1720 bios version A07. I've tried disabling dual core support, flash cache, and other random things.

I've tried every kernel and yes I've tried cpus=1. Trying to use the "platform=" tag didn't seem to do anything either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks. :)

I haven't put the new V2 on my laptop as of yet (have a 1720 as well) but in the bios you have to disable ACPI and turbo memory options to install osx86 from my previous experience.

Hey there guys, I've been looking over the forums recently for information regarding some of the errors I've been getting while trying to install Leopard. It looks something like this "panic (cpu 0 caller #######) Unable to find driver for this platform ACPI" and after "ACPI" it shows some path to something on the boot dvd. This is as far as I get with it, I can't even get to an installer screen. This is with iATKOSv2 btw. I did find one other post that describes a problem exactly like mine but it is close to dead so I decided to repost.

My Hardware is as follows:

2GHz intel core 2 duo

2GB RAM

120GB SATA HD(Set to AHCI in bios)

Nvidia 8600M GT

My bios is of course standard dell inspiron 1720 bios version A07. I've tried disabling dual core support, flash cache, and other random things.

I've tried every kernel and yes I've tried cpus=1. Trying to use the "platform=" tag didn't seem to do anything either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks. :)

It looks like you have the first release os v2 that was bad. You will need to download the rereleased version. I can't give you a link but it will reference brokenstone.

Version 1 works great on these too and can be updated with the kalycombo update.

More here.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=79526

and here

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=83039

turbo memory...? Are you talking about TM on the graphics card? Because I have the 8600M GT, doesn't have TM, and i don't have an option in the bios to disable ACPI. I'm using the bios version A07, are you running the same version or an earlier?I've tried kalyway as well btw and it just freezes after it reaches this message

extension "com.apple.driver.acpi_smc_platformplugin" has immediate dependencies on both com.apple.kernel and com.apple.kpi components; use only one style

ioapic: version 0x20 vectors 0:23

immediately beneath this message is just a solid cursor and it stays that way, I've left it on for a few hours like that just to check but upon further examination I can hear that the DVD has stopping moving and isn't being read from anymore.Kalyway 10.5.2 btw

Did you have to do any special setup for your inspiron to install, Red? anything like the cpus=1 flag or disable multi-core in the bios.

turbo memory...? Are you talking about TM on the graphics card? Because I have the 8600M GT, doesn't have TM, and i don't have an option in the bios to disable ACPI. I'm using the bios version A07, are you running the same version or an earlier?I've tried kalyway as well btw and it just freezes after it reaches this message

extension "com.apple.driver.acpi_smc_platformplugin" has immediate dependencies on both com.apple.kernel and com.apple.kpi components; use only one style

ioapic: version 0x20 vectors 0:23

immediately beneath this message is just a solid cursor and it stays that way, I've left it on for a few hours like that just to check but upon further examination I can hear that the DVD has stopping moving and isn't being read from anymore.Kalyway 10.5.2 btw

Did you have to do any special setup for your inspiron to install, Red? anything like the cpus=1 flag or disable multi-core in the bios.

No you don't need to flag cpu=1. You should have the option of ACPI os sata in your bios if I remember right. I think I had to set it it sata for one version or it would not see the drive to install.

I think you need the rereleased v2 or v1r2 of Iatkos and I think you will be able to get it rolling. I haven't installed using V2 I only booted to see what it had to offer. These 1720s run very well on 10.5.2. I'm runing the x3100 graphics, the Nvidia should be even better without the quirks the intel graphics have.

The only bug I have besides the display going to sleep is I have to use the power button if i shut it down but I very seldom shut it down i just use sleep. It is on as soon as I open the lid.

It looks like you have the first release os v2 that was bad. You will need to download the rereleased version. I can't give you a link but it will reference brokenstone. Version 1 works great on these too and can be updated with the kalycombo update.More here.http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=79526and herehttp://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=83039
I've got the brokenstone repost, and I just tried with Leo4allv3, gives me the same error as in kaly and iAtkos. This is starting to {censored} me off :( man tiger was so much easier to install when i did it a :censored2: year ago.
No you don't need to flag cpu=1. You should have the option of ACPI os sata in your bios if I remember right. I think I had to set it it sata for one version or it would not see the drive to install.I think you need the rereleased v2 or v1r2 of Iatkos and I think you will be able to get it rolling. I haven't installed using V2 I only booted to see what it had to offer. These 1720s run very well on 10.5.2. I'm runing the x3100 graphics, the Nvidia should be even better without the quirks the intel graphics have. The only bug I have besides the display going to sleep is I have to use the power button if i shut it down but I very seldom shut it down i just use sleep. It is on as soon as I open the lid.
What bios version do you have on your inspiron?

I've got the brokenstone repost, and I just tried with Leo4allv3, gives me the same error as in kaly and iAtkos. This is starting to {censored} me off :( man tiger was so much easier to install when i did it a :censored2: year ago.What bios version do you have on your inspiron?

I just went into my bios and checked it is A06. The option to set the sata is in onboard devices and it gives me the option of ata and acpi. I use ata. If you want to reinstall vista it needs to be set to this or install the drivers from the driver cd.

I just went into my bios and checked it is A06. The option to set the sata is in onboard devices and it gives me the option of ata and acpi. I use ata. If you want to reinstall vista it needs to be set to this or install the drivers from the driver cd.
ok thanks man, will look, I appreciate the help btw :)I did a quick search about the A06 bios and I couldn't find anything anywhere to how I could download it, the only bio versions I can download are A07 (which i have) A04, A01, and A00. This is from dell's support site. This made me curious as to how you have a bios version I cannot get so i did some reading and evidently A06 is only available to the newer inspirons 1720 or something along those lines :censored2: When did you purchase yours, because mine is well over a year old. Sorry, this is just baffling me, and the only thing related to my SATA in my bios is ATA or AHCI, whereas AHCI and ACPI and completely different things as i understand.
No you don't need to flag cpu=1. You should have the option of ACPI os sata in your bios if I remember right. I think I had to set it it sata for one version or it would not see the drive to install.I think you need the rereleased v2 or v1r2 of Iatkos and I think you will be able to get it rolling. I haven't installed using V2 I only booted to see what it had to offer. These 1720s run very well on 10.5.2. I'm runing the x3100 graphics, the Nvidia should be even better without the quirks the intel graphics have. The only bug I have besides the display going to sleep is I have to use the power button if i shut it down but I very seldom shut it down i just use sleep. It is on as soon as I open the lid.
I was looking on dells site and the 1720 and the 1721 have the exact same hardware except for graphics etc, and the only bios version A06 that i found was for the 1721 so I might try flashing it with that so if you don't hear from me on here for a while.....lol.....it's because my bios is corrupt :(

ok thanks man, will look, I appreciate the help btw :P I did a quick search about the A06 bios and I couldn't find anything anywhere to how I could download it, the only bio versions I can download are A07 (which i have) A04, A01, and A00. This is from dell's support site. This made me curious as to how you have a bios version I cannot get so i did some reading and evidently A06 is only available to the newer inspirons 1720 or something along those lines :wacko: When did you purchase yours, because mine is well over a year old. Sorry, this is just baffling me, and the only thing related to my SATA in my bios is ATA or AHCI, whereas AHCI and ACPI and completely different things as i understand.I was looking on dells site and the 1720 and the 1721 have the exact same hardware except for graphics etc, and the only bios version A06 that i found was for the 1721 so I might try flashing it with that so if you don't hear from me on here for a while.....lol.....it's because my bios is corrupt :P

I bought mine on Dell outlet 2 or 3 months ago. I sold my 9300 on ebay and it only cost me about $200 difference so I couldn't pass it up.

I never really looked that close so mine probably is ATA or AHCI I just assumed it was the same problem.

Damn don't go messing up your BIOS over anything I say I'm an idiot. Just ask my wife. :P

Sorry for the confusion i did mean AHCI, it need to be disabled then you need to disable turbo memory as well in your bios. I have A07 here and just did a full install with v2 and only problem I have is my power button not powering down but instead sleeping the computer.

Sorry for the confusion i did mean AHCI, it need to be disabled then you need to disable turbo memory as well in your bios. I have A07 here and just did a full install with v2 and only problem I have is my power button not powering down but instead sleeping the computer.

Do you have the Intel video or Nvidia? Also how about sound and sleep? I've been waiting for someone with a 1720 to try V2. I've got things working too well to kill a good install.

I just checked the date on my bios it is A06 dated 1-14-08.

Do you have the Intel video or Nvidia? Also how about sound and sleep? I've been waiting for someone with a 1720 to try V2. I've got things working too well to kill a good install.

I just checked the date on my bios it is A06 dated 1-14-08.

That A06 BIOS is strange and almost non-existent, it's like the {censored} child of A07 that no one wants to talk about :) Dell doesn't even officially support it any more, and I can't download it via support.dell.c*m

• 3 weeks later...
That A06 BIOS is strange and almost non-existent, it's like the {censored} child of A07 that no one wants to talk about :o Dell doesn't even officially support it any more, and I can't download it via support.dell.c*m

I am having the same problem. by bios is A08. I have my bios set to ata and flash off but I still get the same error. Can anyone help. I'm pulling my hair out and there is not much left :P