USB/FW ports not functional

Cave Man

5 posts in this topic

Greetings all, long time lurker, first time poster.

I've installed Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD onto a Q6600/Asus P5K-E WiFi-AP successfully. I've only had a couple of issues, one of which is rather important. Unless a device is connected to a USB or FW port at start up, the ports do not appear to be active. For instance, if I boot with an external firewire drive connected and on, the drive shows up on my desktop. I can eject that drive and reconnect it at any time. But if I try using another FW drive it will not mount (unless I reboot with that drive connected). Same thing for USB devices. My SATA DVD burner (Samsung) mounts CDs, but not DVD Video discs.

I plan to write up a how-to for my install, but would like to get these loose ends tied up first. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

sudo kextload -b com.apple.iokit.IOUSBMassStorageClass

sudo kextload -b com.apple.iokit.IOFireWireAVC

Write these commands in terminal and everything sholud work until reboot. First one loads USB driver, the second one loads FireWire.

And read THIS topic/

I had the same problems on a GA-EP35-DS3P, I switch to a retail install and it know works perfectly ;)

I saw spmewhere in the forum that the default fix PCGENUSB or something like that causes a lot of problems with usb ...