Trouble with "Still waiting for root device"

Dook

17 posts in this topic

Hi all,

This is my first post here so i'll try to give every piece of information i can.

Mobo - ASUS M2NPV-VM

HD - Excelstor SATA 80GB

also Samsung SATA 500GB

and Seagate SATA 250GB

CPU - AMD 3200+ x1

RAM - 2GB 667

GFX Geforce 7950+ Calibre

DVD - IDE

--

Okay so basically i first downloaded the Kalyway ISO, and i went to install it. Burned it, loaded it up and there was no continue button or anything like that. So i looked it up on the net and it looked like i was missing part of the screen.

So i went into the BIOS and changed my onboard gfx to be used. I plugged into there and booted the disk. Loaded fine. But i made the mistake of my life - i pressed continue instead of custom. So i didn't select that it was an AMD cpu.

Without realising i just let it reboot and it basically wouldn't load. So i then booted it -v. I can't remember what the error was but when i looked it up on the net it was basically to the point that i hadn't selected AMD.

Anyway i went to bed, got up the next day to start again. Inbetween i reenabled my other graphics card, and went back onto Vista to do some emails, etc.

So i went to install it again, and it gave me this message "Still waiting for root device."

I ignored it a couple of times and it managed to load without giving me this error... BUT i was on my other graphics card, and the resolution didn't work.

So i had to try booting the disk on the other graphics card.

However since i've gone back to the onboard graphics card its not been able to boot again.

I've tried going back to the other graphics card but to no avail.

I've tried changing the jumper settings on the DVD drive (Which is IDE) That's now set as slave, but it's done nothing.

I've unplugged the other hard drives and have the hard drive i want to use as the 1st SATA drive.

I've tried enabling RAID on the drives but that's not working either.

I also tried booting with no hard drives plugged in, which gives the exact same error - i presume that's to be expected though.

Just before it gives the error it says

AppleNForceATA: found 1 units

AppleNForceATA: found 0 units

IOATAController device blocking bus.

AppleNForceATA: NVIDIA nForce MCP 51 by MeDevil (CMD 0x1f0, ctr 0x3f4, IRQ 14, BM 0xfd00)

I don't know if that helps.

So anyway i've since then tried Leo4all v3 and that's yielding the exact same results.

I'm absolutely stuck. Anyone please help!!

here's an SS -

http://img136.imagevenue.com/img.php?image..._122_1139lo.JPG

Thanks so much,

Dook

Hello its an ide optical drive yeah. And im installing to a sata. I tried playing with the jumper settings but nothing works. When i managed to install it the first time it was on master. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

i have same config...i had problem with that still waiting for root device...i think u have 40 ide controller cable...use 80 ide controller cable and abt master slave it can be anything....

Thanks man!

That got me through that stage!

So i've managed to install it, but now whenever it loads it's saying "Still waiting for root device."

I've tried moving the SATA to the 1st SATA drive but nothing...

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks

It's really baffling me now because it's all installed but for some reason it's doing it again.

I've trawled through all the other posts saying -v -d -f etc. but none of that is working.

I've seen this mentioned about changing it to legacy IDE, but that's not an option on mine.

Does anyone have any info on this?!

Thanks,

Dook

Try unplugging the other hard drives in your computer.

If that doesn't work then I suggest finding another DVD.

Like Leo4All. Leo4All pretty much works for everything.

I went with Kalyway because it was the only thing that didn't give my the waiting for root device error.

I'm kinda new with Leopard and all, Tiger is my specialty.

I haven't been here since October.

try to remove 2 other satas try with one only(seagate)...i dont know this work or not....or change applenforceata i can give that to u...

there is one message ioatacontroller device blocking bus just google it....

hey guys, thanks for the replies.I'd already tried booting without the others plugged in and just the one with osx on in. I tried using leo4all, which has given me this root error.I'll go back and try Kalyway again but tbh i'm expecting the same results.What're you saying about the applenforceata srivathsa?ThanksOk just tried with the Kalyway DVD.I'm getting the Root device error just trying to laod the installer now.I really am getting annoyed with this now.Does anyone have any suggestions at all!?!?!?Goodnight!Ok just tried with the Kalyway DVD.I'm getting the Root device error just trying to laod the installer now.I really am getting annoyed with this now.Does anyone have any suggestions at all!?!?!?Goodnight!