Can't Rebuild Kextcache

CrArC

5 posts in this topic

When I try and rebuild the kextcache I get an error to the effect of "archive would be too large" and the rebuild is abandoned.

I think this is what is causing me to have to boot with the -f switch every time I boot OS X in order to have working sound, networking and Time Machine. -f drops the kextcache and forces the system to reload the kexts, right? Which of course also causes the system to try rebuilding the cache - but of course, it abandons the rebuild halfway through and the next time you boot, you're back to square one.

What can I do to force the kextcache to rebuild fully, has anyone else had this problem? I'm having trouble restarting and shutting down as well, it will hang occasionally and I'll have to force it off.

Not sure what you're doing but all you really need to do is this:

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

There's no need to rm any files or mkexts or anything else. All advice to the contrary is outdated and obsolete. If 'touch /S/L/E' doesn't rebuild all the caches then nothing will. Is your hard disk almost full? That would be one cause of the "archive too large" message.

I've tried touching it as well, and letting it rebuild on its own. But I still need to boot with that -f switch! My hard disk is almost full now but it was almost empty when i worked out the kextcache issue and nothing has changed since.

I'm wondering if it's a bad kext somewhere but I have no idea how to verify this.

go to terminal and enter "du /System/Library/Extensions" without the quotes.

This will list the size of each directory in the Extensions folder and finally the total size of the Extensions Folder. The Total size wont be more than 100MB I presume.

Look for each directory size to see if any is unusually large. Maybe you dumped some dmg file or something in that folder which has made it so big that it wont boot without -f.

• 1 month later...

Hi, there

I have similar problem that I need -f switch to boot or my hardware will not perform correctly

I would very much like to find a way that I can stop doing that to save time when booting

I am not exactly sure what do you mean by checking whether the Extensions folder is large or small

does that matter for having hardware drivers working?