installing leopard on an ibook

DesiMaster

6 posts in this topic

my situation is as follows:

I have an ibook g4 that does not have a dvd drive and I'm trying to install retail Leopard onto it using an image I have.

The following options are unavailable to me:

external firewire anything

another mac to create a netboot server or target disk mode (although it is possible for me to create a hackintosh with MANY hours of work-this is not preferred)

A large internal hard drive to partition and use as the install location ( I CAN do this but, if I do this, I will have 2 partitions on the drive, one being 20gb and other 10gb - the drive is only 30 gb and it is a pain to have to use 2 separate partitions on such a small drive- also not preferred)

Possibility(unsure) : Is there any way for me to insert the dvd into a windows computer and mount the drive onto my mac at boot? Also, is there any feasible way to create a netboot server on windows?

What are all the possible ways for me to install leopard without an internal DVD drive that is available to me?

Thanks to anyone who would like to respond.

I would have to say your best bet and easiest bet would be to use (borrow, buy) an external USB or FireWire DVD drive.

Also, if you have a 6GB+ flash drive, you could put the Leopard image on that, mount that image in Tiger, then click reboot and install (or w/e option it is) and your iBook should boot from the USB drive like it would a DVD drive.

Otherwise, IDK.

Good luck!

Thank you for the quick reply, but I must remind you, PowerPC Macs don't have the capability to boot from USB.

Did not know that. Thanks for the heads up.

• 1 month later...