"the disk you inserted is not readable by this computer"

9 posts in this topic

Hey everybody :P

I've been running the Leo4All V2 perfectly since it was first released on my Dell XPS410.

Well recently I had to reinstall Windows and the way I have setup my dual boot is a bit odd. Basically I set it up for that on my motherboard Ports 0 and 1 have the Windows HD's hooked up, Port 2 has the DVD drive, and Ports 4 and 5 have my MacOS drives. How I switch is by turning the ports on and off. So basically when I need to use Windows Ports 0, 1, and 2 are active with 3, 4, and 5 turned off.When I need to use the MacOS Ports 2, 4, and 5 are active with 0, 1, and 3 turned off. I noticed an oddity in that the MacOS would always mount the Windows drives anyways and I always just dragged them down to trash to unmount them.

I just did a reinstall and decided to run RAID 0 on my Windows drives again. So booting back up into the MacOS I noticed that EVERYTHING was running way slower than usual and locking up like crazy. I went into the BIOS and switched my RAID setting to "Autodetect" and that fixed the lockups, but now on every boot it still tries to mount the drives but fails with the "the disk you inserted is not readable by this computer" error message.

Long story short (too late), does anyone know what I need to edit to stop the mounting attempts by the OS? Disk Utility doesn't even show the HD's anymore so I can't figure out what is trying to call them and failing.

Thanks in advance for the help -_-

EDIT - Scratch that.The discs are showing up in Disk Utility again it seems.

So how do I stop the OS from detecting that these drives even exist without having to unplug them altogether?

• 2 weeks later...

Cool, I'm not alone. But this message appears when I bought hdd and changed sata connection. Next time I turned it on I saw "the disk you inserted is not readable by this computer" . My system hacintosh kalyway 10.5.2. Now I'm trying diskwarrior. Good luck.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I need help with this too! If anyone has anything.. even an idea, please, please share!

Ditto. Windows 7 on a RAID 0 setup, but when Snow Leopards boots up, it displays that message twice, since I have two HDDs in the RAID setup.

I'd like to have SL to quit trying to mount JUST those two HDDs if possible.

Not a show stopper. Just an annoyance.

• 10 months later...

Me too exactly the same with 10.6.4

I have a disk for MacOSX and two raided drives for Win7. I chameleon via a SSD card to dual boot them separately.

But every time I go into OSX the stupid thing keeps trying to mount these unreadable hardware raided DOS drives and I want to tell OSX to ignore it.

I have played with creating a /etc/fstab file with

LABEL=ST31500342AS /dev/disk1 none ro,noauto

LABEL=ST31500342AS /dev/disk2 none ro,noauto

in it, but this fails and I don't think fstab is used anymore in SL ????

Does anyone have a solution to this VERY annoying problem ?

• 2 months later...

same problem here and still no solution??

any help?

thx!

ho provato cosi ma non funziona:

Aprire DiskUtility

GetInfo su gli hardisk con ntfs

prendere il nome/label e l'uuid dell'hardisk

aprire il terminale:

sudo nano /etc/fstab

aggiungere per ogni hardisk con ntfs:

LABEL=nome none ntfs ro,noauto,noowner

o

UUID=XXX-XXXX-XXX-XXX-XXX none ntfs ro,noauto,noowner

CTRL+O

poi

INVIO (per salvare)

CTRL+X (per uscire)

se apro diskutility mi dice che, a differenza di prima, posso attivarli

ma i messaggi mi appaiono lo stesso in avvio...

ho 2 hardisk in raid 0 e 2 in raid 1

tutti e 4 ntfs

i 2 hd in raid 1 mi da il nome e l'uuid,

per i 2 hd in raid 0 nulla...li vede ma non mi da piu informazioni

non so piu che fare, dovro' convivere con questi 2 messaggi!