Fedora 9 Released

9 posts in this topic

Ug, I was going to try out Fedora later this week, but now that they are switching over to KDE soley, I don't think so.

I really don't even want to try Fedora 8 now.

:(

Ug, I was going to try out Fedora later this week, but now that they are switching over to KDE soley....

No, I don't think so. I believe they mean their only KDE will be KDE4, but there should be GNOME as well, I'd be very surprised otherwise.

No, I don't think so. I believe they mean their only KDE will be KDE4, but there should be GNOME as well, I'd be very surprised otherwise.

I hope you are right. Not only for my personal reasons :( , but because their are clearly two big linux desktop user bases, and they would be abandoning at least about 40% of the linux user base.

That is not a accurate stat, but I see the break down like this:

KDE - 40%

Gnome - 40%

Other (XFCE, Fluxbox, Enlightenment, Etc.) - 20%

It looks great, but Fedora has never been a distro. to jump for joy over. Any more, they just seem to follow the herd of all the other predominantly GNOME-based Linux operating systems. I am much more excited for OpenSUSE 11, which is shaping up to be Linux's Mac OS X (that is: the home run that everything just clicks on, and it leaves everything else in the dust). :(

It looks great, but Fedora has never been a distro. to jump for joy over. Any more, they just seem to follow the herd of all the other predominantly GNOME-based Linux operating systems. I am much more excited for OpenSUSE 11, which is shaping up to be Linux's Mac OS X (that is: the home run that everything just clicks on, and it leaves everything else in the dust). :(

Unfortunately for you (and A17), that will not happen. Not because, I prefer Ubuntu and Gnome over most everything else, but because of the ideas that most linux users hold.

Most linux users pick a distro and a desktop environment and rebel against the rest. The future of linux is not one distro and one desktop environment, but it is the open source movement as a whole. The ability for variety and the ultimate ability for the end user to have exactly what they want is linux' competitive advantage, and as long as their are fractions in the linux (open source) community, there will never be complete functionality and unity that could dominate the market as some of us may envision.

Just think of the US government. I love the way we do things here in the United States, but the political unrest that having two dominate separate parties create is just daunting and puts a blinder on most people who decide to vote either Republican or Democratic, instead of voting for what they believe in...

Most linux users pick a distro and a desktop environment and rebel against the rest.

That is not a bad thing, as you yourself explain.

What is really bad is that people can be brainwashed into believing that something ordinary is the best thing after sliced salami.

And that is true of everything. Just look at Italy, where my idiotic fellow citizens have elected a government of mafiosi and fascists.

the only time i tried fedora it was when it was released the first time, and i didn't like it too buggy,

It has improved a lot since the first release, IMO.

However you can always expect a few bugs in the first few days or weeks.