Success: Kalyway 10.5.2 on Thinkpad T60 with x1300: CI/QE enabled

cptsalek

7 posts in this topic

Hi,

after lots of tweaking and trying several guides found in the forum I decided to try from scratch again.

This is a summary of my installation notes. Maybe you'll find it usefull. There isn't anything in here which hasn't been mentioned in other tutorials.

If you want to give it a try you need to know the DeviceID of your adaptor, and the standard resolution of your display. For my Thinkpad T60 the DeviceID is 0x71491002 and the resolution is 1024x768x32.

- I used Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD

- in Graphics Drivers I selected ATI Radeon X1000 series *only* (deselected all other drivers)

- Natit or ATIinject is probably not needed: I installed Natit, but after applying several changes still had a black screen, so I removed it from /System/Library/Extensions and tried without. Worked. I don't know if Natit applies some changes to the other ATIRadeon .kexts on first run...

* On first system boot choose -s -v and mount -uw /

* Go to /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX1000.kext/Contents

- Open Info.plist in your favorite console Text editor, search for IOPCIMatch and add your DeviceID.

* Go to /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration

- Open com.apple.Boot.plist and add

<key>Graphics Mode</key>
	<string>1024x768x32</string>

Exit the shell. That should be all.

Edit: Natit has to run at least once, I had the opportunity to test it again. Installed Natit after another clean install and figuring out that editing both files isn't enough.

There's mouse tearing sometimes. It's not nice but doesn't really hurt. I like the speed of a QE/CI enabled Desktop. And now all my Apps are working (Blender, SIDPlay).

HTH

CptSalek

@tjcinnamon: Yes, I'm dual booting. The I got the machine from my employer who allowed me to keep a private partition. So I've windows on disk0s1 and had to keep this partition. I created a 32MB partition on disk0s2 and installed grub and boot_v8 (PC EFI) to it. Afterwards I installed OS X on disk0s3 (just create an empty partition and erase it using Disk Util).

@lmk: No, there's some mouse tearing, but I consider it a minor issue. I don't know what others have reported so far, but I see tearing every time I start moving the mouse while there's activity in the window below. Sometimes active buttons aren't completely drawn and there are moving lines on the right side of the screen.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hi,

after lots of tweaking and trying several guides found in the forum I decided to try from scratch again.

This is a summary of my installation notes. Maybe you'll find it usefull. There isn't anything in here which hasn't been mentioned in other tutorials.

If you want to give it a try you need to know the DeviceID of your adaptor, and the standard resolution of your display. For my Thinkpad T60 the DeviceID is 0x71491002 and the resolution is 1024x768x32.

- I used Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD

- in Graphics Drivers I selected ATI Radeon X1000 series *only* (deselected all other drivers)

- Natit or ATIinject is probably not needed: I installed Natit, but after applying several changes still had a black screen, so I removed it from /System/Library/Extensions and tried without. Worked. I don't know if Natit applies some changes to the other ATIRadeon .kexts on first run...

* On first system boot choose -s -v and mount -uw /

* Go to /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX1000.kext/Contents

- Open Info.plist in your favorite console Text editor, search for IOPCIMatch and add your DeviceID.

* Go to /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration

- Open com.apple.Boot.plist and add

<key>Graphics Mode</key>
	<string>1024x768x32</string>

Exit the shell. That should be all.

Edit: Natit has to run at least once, I had the opportunity to test it again. Installed Natit after another clean install and figuring out that editing both files isn't enough.

There's mouse tearing sometimes. It's not nice but doesn't really hurt. I like the speed of a QE/CI enabled Desktop. And now all my Apps are working (Blender, SIDPlay).

HTH

CptSalek

For my Driver Selection, I cannot find a ati x1000 driver.

Seems like mac is having a problem with specifically my card (x1300), i have tried so many things all leading to the BlueScreen with cursor in top left.

Think i might buy a diff graphics card or move back to xp, maybe vista.

Just curious what model is yours?, I have the 2007-49u model thinkpad T60 with 1400x1050 resolution. I have spent hours trying to QE enabled yet it still shows unsupported. The last thing I did was got Natit, and the X1000 driver from sources on the web. I get a mouse on my black screen or startup screen if I don't boot with -v. But still no go? Any ideas?