Fix broken System.kext?

7 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I've googled far and wide before posting this question, so please forgive me (or correct me) if I searched incorrectly.

My problem is this:

I've successfully installed Kalyway 10.5.2 onto my AMD 64-bit system. Everything is working flawlessly with the exception of my ipod not mouting. In my research, I've found that downgrading to a 10.5.1 System.kext can possibly solve the problem. Well, I tried to perform this operation, but upon reboot all I get is a kernel panic no matter which kernel version I choose. I've tried booting into single user mode and safe mode but I still get the kernel panic no matter what. I've also tried to boot in to single user mode from the DVD, but I can only access the contents of the DVD. I think my question is this:

How can I boot from the Kalyway DVD, mount my hard disk in an effort ot replace the broken System.kext with the original backed up version?

I am a seasoned Linux user, but am just now getting into OS X. I've re-installed Kalyway DVD several times when this has happened before, but I would like to be able to test different configurations without having to risk a re-install. This is a pretty typical solution in linux to fix broken installations, but how is this done in OS X?

I'm not sure what other info is needed, but I can provide whatever is necessary. Thanks in advance.

Dave

Try booting the DVD as if to install, then use terminal from the utilities menu as soon as it is available (immediately after language selection iirc) ls /Volumes will quickly let you know whether your hardddrive is mounted. a usb stick can also be used if you need to add files

Thanks for everyones replies!!

you can use kext helper b7 to install any kexts files to your leopard

That is exactly how I installed the System.kext

Try booting the DVD as if to install, then use terminal from the utilities menu as soon as it is available (immediately after language selection iirc) ls /Volumes will quickly let you know whether your hardddrive is mounted. a usb stick can also be used if you need to add files

This idea sounds promising. I have the orginal System.kext backed up in another directory on the disk. I think I'll give this a try.

if you have access to Leopard HD from windows just copy the new System.kext to your Leopard and reboot.

I also thought about doing this since I have my main Linux install on another HD on the machine. I'm going to give Hagars suggestion a shot first since I'd have to swap some ide cables around to do this.

I booted from the DVD and I was able to see my OS X hard drive and all of the data, however, it was in read-only mode and I could not fix the problem. I decided to do a complete reinstall since I hadn't gotten very far anyway.

For future reference, does anyone know how to put the disk into readwrite mode?