Help building a hackintosh for Audio purposes

the_mav_kid

3 posts in this topic

Ok I've been reading through the forum here and I've found alot of useful info but i wanted to try and find out about building a new hackintosh soley for the purpose of studio use. I currently am using an ibook G4 1.42 with 1.25 gig of ram and am using Logic 7 express. My machine is antiquated and i have put a ton of mileage on. It's time to upgrade. I can't afford a mac pro ($3,500 is impossible for a college student) so I had been trying (unsuccessfully) to convince myself to switch to cubase and run an XP machine. Then I found out about this wonderful site and hope was renewed. Ok, all that to say I would like to get some help in picking the best components to build a hackintosh that will smoothly run logic express 7 (with the intention to quickly upgrade to 8 pro). I'm currently using a m-audio firewire 410 but will be upgrading to a delta 1010 in the near future additionally i need to be able to interface my USB midi keyboard as i am constantly using it in the recording process (not sure if this is important or not). My budget is in the 650-700$ range and i will be starting from scratch. If anyone can help give me some guidance as to what are the better components to use for this type of computer and the best places to find them it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much for perservering through my rambling and for all the help.

Stay away from the Delta 1010 very few PCI cards works in Intel macs or hacksmacs but not the delta I have one so I know. Go for a PCI to Firewire card with Texas Instrument chipset or a mobo with onboard TI FW and a FW soundcard.

I´m in Scandinavia so I´m not sure of how much you pay for computer hardware but if you´re in the US it´s probably a lot less than over here.

If so I can recommend my setup, probably match your budget if your in the US.

GA P35 DS3R mobo

Q660 Cpu

GA 7300 gs 256 mb PCIe video card

8 gig Apacer 800 Mhz memory

Exsys EX-6450 Texas Instrument chipset PCI -> FW

7200 IDE harddrive but there´s Sata on the mobo to

600W powersupply

For soundcard I have the Focusrite Saffire Pro 10 i/o

and a USB keyboard

I´m running Logi pro 8 get really good score in the benchmark test in another thread here if you look, about the same as a real single quadcore Mac Pro.

• 2 weeks later...

I can vouch that building a Hackintosh to run Logic is indeed a great way to go. I have just completed my setup and its all working 100% with Logic 8.0 and Abletons.

Only owes me around $400-500 NZD which is pretty decent compared to the prices I had for a G5. I am only running onboard Audio for now but that will do until I get a firewire interface.

Good luck with your project. If I can recommend one thing, read as much as you can before you buy any gear so you know the pitfalls of certain hardware. Everything you need to know is in these Forums to help you.

Oh and remember to tell us how you get on :(