hardware (double)check before order/build

3 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

First, a sincere thank you to all of the people here who have contributed to helping others run OSX86 on their hackintoshes. This is a wonderful community.

I've been reading the threads here and various other info for about 2 days and I am just about ready to order the parts for my hackintosh, but I want to check first to make sure everything will work. Also I have a graphics card question.

My proposed configuration:

Seagate Barracuda 500GB Sata HD

Intel 2.4ghz Quad Core 2 (kentsfield) OEM

Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro cpu heatsink/fan

Cooler Master thermal paste

Intel D975XBX2 (bad axe 2) mobo

Lite On LH-20A1S DVD burner

4GB (2x1 2GB dimms) Corsair DDR2 800 RAM

500w Silverstone Element power supply

Antec P182 case

Should this hardware configuration run Leopard well?

My main confusion lies in the decision of a video card. My primary motivation for building this hackintosh is to have a very fast computer with which to edit HD video with in FCP. I am not sure which video card would be best suited to this task, or as to which of the ones I am considering would be most compatible with OSX86.

First off, I haven't been able to find a 7600 GT here in Canada in any of the main online stores. I did however find this card:

ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT Video Card - 512MB GDDR3, PCI Express

I looked for the HD 2600 XT as it is the video card used in the mac pros, though this version has more ram. Would this card be compatible and work well in my hackintosh, and would it be a suitable card for video editing?

I was also wondering if the GeForce 8500 GT video card is an option, and whether or not it would be a better choice than the Radeon HD 2600 XT for video editing. Which is the better card (if either of them are even valid options)?

If the 8500 GT is compatible, does it matter which brand I choose? There seem to be a lot of different companies putting out various versions of the 8500 GT.

Thank you kindly for your help :blink:

edit: I just looked around a bit online and it seems that the 2600 XT is far superior to the 8500 GT (is that correct?). So my question then is just whether or not the HD 2600 XT is compatible with an OSX86 Leopard install.

edit 2: Well I just did a bit of poking around in the graphics card forum (didn't see it until now!). Seems like the HD 2600 XT is a bit of a pain to get running. What is the best graphics card to use that will work without much trouble? I found a 7600 GT after all, but it's $180. There is also a 7600 GS card that is on sale for $43. Would either of those work? What is your recommendation? Thanks again and sorry for the many edits!

Hi! there's a really great forum where you can answer all your own questions without posting "will my hardware work?" topics like this!

it's called insanelymac.com and there's a wiki too! it's at wiki.osx86project.org

Just think! you could answer all your own questions & avoid cluttering the forum, wouldn't that be great?

Best wishes for your build,

Hagar.

Hi Hagar,

I have been pouring over these forums for hours (two days) trying to discern which hardware components would be best to build my new computer. After coming up with what I think is a good set up I decided to double check with the experts whether or not it would work. This is because this is an investment of over $1000 and I have never built a computer before in my life.

Despite my best efforts to answer my questions on my own by reading, I am still having trouble choosing a video card for my computer, so I registered on the forum to inquire. The information that I have found here is conflicting so I thought it best to ask, possibly in the process clarifying something for another who is in a similar situation.

I am a bit shocked by your sarcastic reply of "RTFM". There are many others who have asked the same question and they have received assistance in good spirit. My plan was to document my entire experience here so as to contribute as much as possible to this forum, in hopes that maybe another newbie would find the information helpful.

In peace,

binary_miracle

edit: Then again I understand where you're coming from. I'm sure I can figure it out on my own, just wanted to double check. Anyways I've decided to go with the Radeon 2600, I'm sure everything will work out fine.