G4 Digital Audio CPU Upgrade

BlackCH

6 posts in this topic

As the title says. Im looking for upgrading a G4 DA (466Mhz). I know the quicksilver CPUs have the same connector and that you need to route 12v to it. This has worked on a 733Mhz DA (I've readad about); nevertheless I dont know if it will work on a 466Mhz. The CPU in question is a dual 7455 (2x1Ghz) from a quicksilver (it might have 2M L3).

If anyone has any info to share about this would be great. TnX

Thanks,

now if you have in mind the DigitalAudio logicboard this dual cpu wont fit (http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/G4ZONE/G4_dual_processor_swap/Dual_G4_page2.html). A ram slot should be removed so no-go.

Fortunately Im looking to a quicksilver cpu which has the layout mirrored; so this will fit perfect.

Did you routed 12v to cpu?, anything special about this?

The most uncertain issue is if I will able to easily enable the L3 cache (without modifiyng resistors, etc)....

ah i found the guide i followed ages ago.

Quicksilver into Sawtooth

It should apply well to your problem. There isnt much difference between the DA and Sawtooth mobo's, except i think the DA has a faster bus speed? correct me if im wrong, i havent looked at this stuff in a while. But that guide shows you what to do for the +12v mod.

As for the dual cpu support, there is something here about dual processor upgrades. Its for aftermarket ones, but should apply the same to the offical apple part. Basically you need to make sure the northbridge on the motherboard is new enough to support the dual processor.

The level 3 cache should work without any mods providing the cpu works at all in the mobo, hopefully it does. :)

I sold my quicksilver modded sawtooth to my old housemate a while back, and ive still got a 450mhz sawtooth as a torrent box.

I just checked it and sadly its uni-north asic is 3. so no dual processor upgrade for that one. Not that it really needs it for what its doing.

Anyway i do wish you good luck, if the motherboard doesnt support dualprocessors, id recommend selling it on ebay and buying a single cpu quicksilver chip. Its an impressive upgrade, and if you get a proper 933 with the l3 cache it would be a huge boost over the old 466. Watch out for 733's that have been overclocked and sold as a 933, they offer a good speed boost over stock but they dont have the l3 cache.