usb clone will boot, but won't login

soaringthor

3 posts in this topic

This is a weird one....

I'm booting off of a USB drive. But let's forget that, because right now it's working like a normal defunct installation would. I had an almost perfect installation of iAtkos on my hard drive, which was patched (rather improperly using software update) to 10.5.2. I recently upgraded my hard drive, going from a 160 GB to a 250 GB (yay!!). So I'm trying to get my mac installation from my old hard drive to my new one. Right now, I am using an external hard drive and a donationware tool called Carbon Copy Cloner. CCC makes a bootable clone of the installation, so that you can boot from that clone and run Mac OSX. I had to fix darwin... whatever. So now I have a different situation.

The clone will boot, and get through all of its startup routines, and get to the dreaded blue screen, with just a movable cursor. My research shows that this just means the login window isn't starting. But my research doesn't give a clear solution.

I've done a chown 1775 /, chmod 1775 / in single user mode on the installation and repaired permissions from the iAtkos DVD. Still, the login screen won't pop up.

I'm on a Dell Inspiron 1520, the external drive is just a seagate POS in a maxtor enclosure.

Alternatively, does anyone have any ideas on how to get my OS from my old drive to the new, but with no connection directly between the two?

I did, but it just said "Dummy bless executed!" So i'm guessing that didn't work. I blessed it from the iAtkos disk, because blessing was part of the Darwin repair process. But just that dummy bless....

Should I try blessing the drive from single user mode? Can I bless the drive from single user mode?