Athlon XP 2400+ DVD Boot-Loop Problems

rickatnight11

9 posts in this topic

Hey everyone, I am new to the OSx86 scene and am having some issues getting the new Leo4Allv3 to install. I wish to triple boot XP/Leopard/Ubuntu Hardy Heron on my eMachines T2460 desktop computer. It has the following specs:

AMD Athlon XP 2400+ 2.0ghz

512MB Ram

60GB Stock HD

200GB Media HD

ATI Radeon 9600

I planned on using the 60GB HD as the Operating System Drive, giving 19GB partitions to each operating system. I installed XP first, and the 19GB partition and install went fine. The rest of the drive is unallocated. Booting from the Leo4Allv3 DVD prompts me to press any key to load from the disk or press F8 for other boot options. Pressing Enter displays the Darwin bootloader. It loads Darwin/x86, kernel mach_kernel, a line mentioning drivers, two more HFS+ files, and then the computer just reboots. I have tried that a few times with the same result, and also tried the F8 option. Loading with the -v command generates the same result, and trying the ? command acts like it's loading a text viewer but nothing is really shown. Pressing up and down make the screen flicker.

I'm at a loss as to how to get Leopard running on my machine. I thought this was a good distribution for AMD-based machines, but maybe it's only for the 64bit processors. I have read somewhere that this has to do with my processor only supporting SSE2 thus making Leopard impossible for me, but other threads suggest that it's still an option. Could someone point me in the right direction?

Well, I tried Kalyway on my AMD Sempron 1.6 GHz which is 64 bit enabled and supports SSE 2 and 3 and get the reboot loop too. I suspect it might be something to do with IDE DVD drives or some other unknown problem with the system.

I have an HP AMD latop (Athlon X2 @ 1.7Ghz).

I saw a thread suggest using

"platform=x86pc -legacy -v" (no quotes)

and it seems to work for me every time. Also, the booting process will stop for me if I have my MX revolution mouse connected, but will successfully boot when I disconnect it before turning the computer on. So if the booting process hangs for you try disconnecting some USB stuff. ^_^

I still haven't successfully installed Leopard though. I mean I have, but rebooting usually messes everything up. =[

I have an HP AMD latop (Athlon X2 @ 1.7Ghz).

I saw a thread suggest using

"platform=x86pc -legacy -v" (no quotes)

and it seems to work for me every time. Also, the booting process will stop for me if I have my MX revolution mouse connected, but will successfully boot when I disconnect it before turning the computer on. So if the booting process hangs for you try disconnecting some USB stuff. ^_^

I still haven't successfully installed Leopard though. I mean I have, but rebooting usually messes everything up. =[

I tried disconnecting my USB device, and pressing F8 to type that command at the "boot:" prompt but it did the same thing. I have a DVD Drive and CD-Burner on one IDE cable, and two hard-drives on the other cable. Does this have anything to do with it? My keyboard is PS/2 as well, but I don't know if that would cause problems.

Does your "Athlon XP 2400" support SSE2? I think its too old for that, only the last revision of XP-M had SSE2 Support. And AMD 64bit in OSX is not possible.

You're right. CPU-Z says MMX (+), 3DNow! (+), and SSE.