gotanks0407

11 posts in this topic

i am having some speed problems.

i have: hp d4100e customized to the max

amd 64 3800+ sse3 + etc has all the stuff

2 gb of ram

running on external maxtor one touch 250 gb it is only partioioned for 5-6 gigs

256 mb geforce 6800

it is running slow than my grandmother on a wednesday morning have you guys got any tweaks or patches i can apply to make it run faster

Thanks for that link. I don't really have speed problems, but certain things like Safari were becoming slower. Tiger Cache Cleaner fixed it right up. Good lookin' out man! :)

Well making sure your running everything native as possible is going to net you the biggest speed increases. However there are a few other things you can do to speed up your OSX86 installiation.

1.) Use Quartz Debug from the Apple developer tools to disable beamsync , this is essientally the same as disabling vsync in a game. Will make window redraws , expose and dashboard all the more smoother.

2.) Download a program from Unsanity called Shadowkiller. Its a small ( Like around 34K ) little application that removes alot of the shadows found in OS X , its hardly noticable by me and I have noticed that it sped the system up a fair amount as well. I have this set too run whenever I boot OS X.

3.) Go into your system preferences and then go to accounts , you will see a tab that says login items. I had an iTunes helper , office upddate manager and some other programs loading at startup and eating my ram that I didnt really need , if you see anything there your not going to be using just highlight it and click the - minus arrow. Even after removing these iTunes and office still work just fine for me so I dont see any harm in removing them.

4.) Download OnyX , its a system maintence program. Click on the maintence button and then on the feild that says reset , put a chackbox in the following..

Launchservices Database

Links between documents and applications.

Also underneath you will see an option to optimise the system , put a checkbox in that ans select the option to perform a complete system optimization. Click execute and then let it do its thing and reboot.

These have worked well for me in upping my OSX86 speed and I hope they will help you too.

i do not really have any patches the patch i said i had earlier was to enable it to install on my pc but not really do more than that is there any processor tweaks or something more i can do

note: i have heard there is a file i need to delete because looks for specific hardware or something like that

• 4 months later...

in activity monitor you should be able to sort the applications based on CPU usage. At the very least that should give you some idea as to which application(s) are hogging your CPU. If you don't need them then kill them, if they're PowerPC look for intel or Universal binaries, and if you can't live without them then you're stuck in a rut.