Asus U6 Problem

o0trance

23 posts in this topic

hi, i was able to get the 3.5gb dvd that was recomended here, after i try and boot my Asus u6 laptop which is dual core the dvd comes up with the darwin/x86 load screen but i never end up seeing the install menu because my laptop keeps restarting before i can get to the install screen. what should i do?

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
i have an asus u6, try the modded bios, it worked for me. i'm a proud u6 mac osx user

I update the mod BIOS and can install 10.5.5.

But I meet the problem of GeForce 8400M, I can't set up internal LCD correctlly.

I only can use external VGA out put.

Could you kindly give me a direction how to solve the 8400m issue?

Many thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Do you have a U6S or a U6V ?

If it is a U6V, the modded bios file is here: http://tinyurl.com/5lzymw

If either of you have a U6V, and your keyboard/touchpad are working, please post here, and tell us which distro you used.

Also, if you have a U6V and are having problems, post here and I will try to help.

You seem to be having some trouble posting, so I will assist:

I am also trying to install iDeneb 10.5.6 on my Asus U6SG with the following hardware config:

Intel Core 2 Duo T8300, 2379 MHz

Chipset Intel PM965 ICH8M

2GB Ram

NVIDIA GeForce 9300M G (256 MB)

Realtek ALC888/S/T

Controller IDE Intel® 82801HEM/HBM SATA AHCI Controller

Segate (320 GB, 5400 RPM, SATA)

Bluetooth, Intel® Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN

NIC Gigabit Ethernet PCI-E Realtek RTL8168/8111

Installation went fine, when the system rebooted after installation, I got the same Grey Mac logo and hung there. When I booted with the -V option, the last line displayed is:

using 10485 Buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO Buffer headers

and hung.

Now I got stuck and don't know what to do, can anyone help me out or give some idea?

I also try to follow the installation guide but couldn't figure out how to specify the different package/driver options like the Voodoo, there is no exit point before the installation and the disk selection.

Thanks

The error you see is being caused by one or more of three problems:

1. The U6 bios is incompatible with OS X. The good news is that it is possible to add a "fake" bios file to the OS X hard drive/partition, which OS X will use to boot with. (You do not have to change your real bios at all)

More information here:

I have already made a fake bios for my ASUS U6V. I do not know if it will work with your U6G, but you should try it. The fake bios file is here: http://tinyurl.com/5lzymw

a. Install OS X. (Make sure to choose the Chameleon bootloader instead of EFI).

b. Once OS X is installed, copy the DSDT file to your OS X installation hard drive/partition.

c. Reboot

2. It could be that you need to select a NVidia driver during OS X installation.

3. Make sure you select a ICHx "fix" in the OS X installation options.

You seem to be having some trouble posting, so I will assist:

The error you see is being caused by one or more of three problems:

1. The U6 bios is incompatible with OS X. The good news is that it is possible to add a "fake" bios file to the OS X hard drive/partition, which OS X will use to boot with. (You do not have to change your real bios at all)

More information here:

I have already made a fake bios for my ASUS U6V. I do not know if it will work with your U6G, but you should try it. The fake bios file is here: http://tinyurl.com/5lzymw

a. Install OS X. (Make sure to choose the Chameleon bootloader instead of EFI).

b. Once OS X is installed, copy the DSDT file to your OS X installation hard drive/partition.

c. Reboot

2. It could be that you need to select a NVidia driver during OS X installation.

3. Make sure you select a ICHx "fix" in the OS X installation options.

Hi Monkeysr,

Yes, I have some kind of problem posting at work.

I am new in the Mac/OSX area so I might not know some of the step you mentioned.

a. How do you chouuse Chameleon bootloader from the idenen 10.5.6 installation DVD?

b. Should the DSDT file be copied to the root directory of the OSX installation partition?

2. How do you select the NVidia driver during OS X installation? Is it thru the option screen?

Thanks

Ok, I went back and read my old posts from when I was having issues. You are seeing the "Buffer Headers" error. The problem is definitely your bios.

iDeneb can install with one of two "boot loaders". One is called "Chameleon", and the other is called "EFI". You want to choose Chameleon. Once iDeneb is installed (and you have rebooted the machine), you can then place the modified DSDT.aml in the root partition of the OS X partition.

To get DSDT.aml on the root partition, I use MacDrive . MacDrive does require that you have Windows installed on another partition on the same machine.

There are other ways of copying the file, but I am unfamiliar with how to do that. Other resources on this forum should be able to help with that.

Once DSDT.aml is in the root partition, reboot, and the buffer-headers error will hopefully be gone. (If you get other errors after that, we will worry about drivers, etc)

Ok, I went back and read my old posts from when I was having issues. You are seeing the "Buffer Headers" error. The problem is definitely your bios.

iDeneb can install with one of two "boot loaders". One is called "Chameleon", and the other is called "EFI". You want to choose Chameleon. Once iDeneb is installed (and you have rebooted the machine), you can then place the modified DSDT.aml in the root partition of the OS X partition.

To get DSDT.aml on the root partition, I use MacDrive . MacDrive does require that you have Windows installed on another partition on the same machine.

There are other ways of copying the file, but I am unfamiliar with how to do that. Other resources on this forum should be able to help with that.

Once DSDT.aml is in the root partition, reboot, and the buffer-headers error will hopefully be gone. (If you get other errors after that, we will worry about drivers, etc)

Sorry I have to ask again

"iDeneb can install with one of two "boot loaders". One is called "Chameleon", and the other is called "EFI". You want to choose Chameleon. Once iDeneb is installed (and you have rebooted the machine), you can then place the modified DSDT.aml in the root partition of the OS X partition. "

How do you choose the bootloader when I boot from the iDenebinstallation DVD? I didn't see any choice available, is Chameleon the default boot loader?

During the installation, I created 2 partitions one for OSX and the other is empty. I will install Window on the second one and try to copy the DSDT.AML file to the OSX root.

If I take out the drive and connect it to a iMac using an USB interface, can I copy the DSDT file to the OSX root drive that way?

Again, thanks for your help.

I progress a bit further and stoped at another place waitting for device after placing the DSDT.AML in the OSX root partition. I am including the screen shot for reference.

post-376261-1245175873_thumb.jpg

I progress a bit further and stoped at another place waitting for device after placing the DSDT.AML in the OSX root partition. I am including the screen shot for reference.

I don't remember where the boot loader choice is in the options. However, it looks like the DSDT.aml file is being loaded.

Your new error is probably caused by ICHx. In the installer, look for something like "ICHx Fix" or "ACHI Fix".

I also try to follow the installation guide but couldn't figure out how to specify the different package/driver options like the Voodoo, there is no exit point before the installation and the disk selection.

It sounds like you may be having trouble finding the installation options. I missed them the first time too. On one of the installation screens, there is a "Customize" button. I think it is to the left of the "Install" button. Look at each screen the installer shows you very carefully, and you will eventually see it.

Edit: Here

precision650installosx03.jpgpost-3496-1245189216_thumb.jpg

I don't remember where the boot loader choice is in the options. However, it looks like the DSDT.aml file is being loaded.

Your new error is probably caused by ICHx. In the installer, look for something like "ICHx Fix" or "ACHI Fix".

It sounds like you may be having trouble finding the installation options. I missed them the first time too. On one of the installation screens, there is a "Customize" button. I think it is to the left of the "Install" button. Look at each screen the installer shows you very carefully, and you will eventually see it.

Hi Monkeysr,

I found those options and been able to select a few like the LCHx and the GFX, still a bit away from booting OSC successfully, attach is the latest screen shot for reference and please see what got in the way or if there is still some driver conflict.

Thanks

post-376261-1245334778_thumb.jpg

The following options were selected for the installation:

iDeneb Essential

Audio – ALC888

Chipset – ICHx Fixed

Kernel – Kernel 9.2.2 SSE3

Network – Realtekr1000

Fix – none

System Utility – none

Video – Nvdarwin

Application – All

Still cannot get it going.

Any idea ?

Thanks

Your kernel panic looks like a USB issue.

1. Try booting in safe mode, by typing '-x' (without quotes) in the boot arguments command prompt.

2. If that doesn't work, are there any "Disable USB" options in the iDeneb installer?

3. If that doesn't work, it may be the DSDT.aml file....

Your U6g may not like like the U6v DSDT.aml file.

You may need to create a DSDT.aml file for your U6g.

Explanation:

1. Why do we need to use special DSDT.aml files?

ASUS puts special lines of code into their bios. These lines are called "Alias" lines. These lines can't be parsed by OS X.

2. Solution:

Someone on this forum has created a program that "fixes" your DSDT.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=133683 ("-contains CPU Aliases fix ")

I suggest making your own fixed DSDT file, based on your actual bios.

If anyone else has suggestions, please let us know.