Leopard+which version of windows?

3 posts in this topic

I want to do a dual boot, or maybe a triple boot, but I'm not sure which version of windows to install. The following is my gear that's currently shipping:

mobo: GIGABYTE GA-EX38-DS4 LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX Intel Motherboard

(206.99 @ NewEgg)

cpu: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.5Ghz 6M 1333Mhz

(279.99 @ TigerDirect)

ram: Patriot Viper 4096MB PC8500 DDR2 1066MHz (2x2048)

(124.99 @ TigerDirect)

gpu: EVGA GeForce 8800 GT 512MB PCIe w/Dual Link DVI

(189.99 @ TigerDirect)

case/psu: Ultra Aluminus Mid Tower Black with 500w V-Series PSU

(69.99 @ TigerDirect)

optical: HP DVD1040I 20X DVD Burner Lightscribe Int Retail

(39.99 @ TigerDirect)

cpu fan: ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler

(31.99 @ NewEgg)

Now, I'm planning on using a dual-boot to enhance the flexibility of my workstation, I'm primarily an editor, and would like to be able to work in different programs as various projects require. I'd also like to play a few games now and then, especially some of the classic real time strategy games like Total War. Now, should I get a copy of Vista? Or XP Pro 64? Or just REGULAR XP Pro? I heard that Vista isn't very backward compatible, and that most new programs and games are simultaneously released for XP and Vista... But are 64 bit drivers still very difficult to come by?

I'm a little in the dark on the Windows side of things, as I'm afraid must be painfully obvious. I'd appreciate any advice you folks can manage.

-K

Personally I would go with Vista it's much more stable and uses its resources more efficiently however some would argue against me. However if you are to decide upon Xp Pro just get the 32 bit version no need for x64. Really it comes down to your final decision. Only you really can decide. I haven't much problem getting programs to work in my Vista x64 there is also a option to "run programs as an older os" (i.e. Windows Xp but I am not entirely sure how well it works due to the fact I have never used it with my Vista)

Thanks for the advice, 66stang... It's reassuring to know that there are Vista customers out there who are satisfied, I've heard a light of nightmare type stories, and that a lot of people were DOWNGRADING to XP, so that's why I thought about going that route. Plus, well, it's cheaper.

Say, is there much software that is Vista ONLY?