nvidia geofrce 8600m gt- 512mb vs 128mb when running final cut(and other questions)

4 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

This is my first time posting on this site, so pardon me if I seem naive.

I am an art student at UMass, and gradually becoming more and more addicted to Final Cut Pro. I have decided that rather than dealing with the few open hours available at the video lab here, I want to buy my own MacBook Pro.

I've looked around, and it seems the best deal I can find that would work best for me and for final cut is a refurbished macbook pro 15.4" with Intel Core 2 Duo at 2.2GHz. I am seriously considering this Mac, but also one sold at the UStore here at UMass. There are a good few differences between the two, but the differences that seem most important to me are

Refurbished vs. New

$1449 vs. $2299

2.2 vs. 2.5 ghz intel core 2 duo

128 vs. 512mb nvidia geforce 8600m gt video card

if i was looking to run final cut pro, would going with the cheaper refurbished macbook really cause some harm? how much more wait time am i looking at? where, if there would be a problem, should i make the change in my search? is there really that big of a difference between 2.2 and 2.5ghz? what changes will i notice between the 128 and 512mb video card? regardless of the macbook i choose, i plan to buy two 2gb ram sticks.

also, how much experience do you have with macofalltrades.com and smalldog.com? would i do well to purchase from these vendors? if not, would you mind recommending some others?

thank you so much for reading and considering,

chaz

well... the used one is much cheaper... But its cheaper mainly because its an older model. If your worried about having this for a long time i'd get the new one... (either through the school, or using the student discount on the apple store)

the .3 ghz difference will make a difference in final cut. Pretty much it will just take a little longer to do everything with the used one.

The video card shouldn't make a big difference if any with movie editing.

So if i was tight on cash i'd get the used one. Otherwise i'd get the new one.

well... the used one is much cheaper... But its cheaper mainly because its an older model. If your worried about having this for a long time i'd get the new one...

why if i'm worried about having it for a long time should i get the new one? because of potential future capability issues, or just because of the fact that it's been around longer and perhaps used more? what exactly does 'older model' mean? what sort of problems would i be looking at if i were to have the old one for a long time that wouldn't occur with the new one?

thanks,

chaz

just means it isn't as fast.... and in some cases can't support as much memory...

I mean in a few years you'll be able to tell a huge difference with the newest apps between a 2.5 ghz and 2.2... i know i can tell a big difference between a 1 and 1.2 ghz ppc now :(

Still i think the 2.2 would surfice but you should realize it will be a bit slower. Also the newest one will have a multitouch pad which is sexy :D