Quick question about Leo and my PC

Mixed

6 posts in this topic

Hi there,

The more I read on this the more I get confused. So, I thought that if I ask a direct question, someone might give me a straight answer and a little guidance.

I want to install Leopard on my PC:

- P4 @3Ghz (specs here)

- Asus P4C800 Deluxe motherboard.

- 1Gb RAM, DDR400.

- SATA HDD, Maxtor 120Gb.

- Nvidia AGP video

So, do I have any chance to install Leo (10.5.1 or 10.5.2) on this machine? I don't need dualboot, I can allocate the entire HDD for OSX.

If yes, what distro/iso should I seek, because there are so many...

I tried with iAtkos v1 (the one ~2.5Gb) and I got the blinking cursor after install...

Thank you! :wacko:

You get a blinking cursor if you did not install Mac on a primary partition, and not mark it active. And another possibility is that the name you gave to your partition had spaces as in "Macintosh HD" and not "MacintoshHD". Try installing again focusing on these issues:

1) a primary partition you make from either windows (disk management) or from Gparted. And when doing it from Gparted make sure there is NO FLAG (nothing under Flag).

2)make your partition active, boot again with -v -s or whatever and then fdisk -e /dev/rdisk<number of the disk> (you can get the number of the disk and the partition number if in the GUI you type in the terminal "diskutil list" without quotes) after fdisk -e /dev/rdisk<no. of the disk>; flag <partition number>; then update; then write; and then quit; and finally reboot. And you also need your disk and partition no. for Darwin Boot only on iATKOS, kalyway and stuff do not have Darwin Boot.

3) Finally, when naming your partition from Disk Util., name it so that it has no spaces in the name... not "Mac HD" but "MacHD" and later on after install, you can change your name.

Hope that helps,

limac

I have Kalys Leo 10.5.1 running on my Asus P4P800se, P4 3ghz cpu, PNY agp geforce 6200 256mb, ide harddrive, 3 gig memory. Had to patch the onboard network with some kext I´ve forgot the name on but it´s around here some where but that´s all. Well sound does´nt work but that soundcard is´nt good anyway so go for a Pci FW card with Texas Instrument chipset and a FW soundcard. I even got dual displays working with the latest NVinject kext. Logic Pro 8 runs on it no problem at all. The install was pretty ordinary stuff like on any redal mac so I´d say Kalys Leo 10.5.1 should do the trick for you. If you have Graphics Aperture in your bios set it to the lowest just to be sure you can always increase it when you have it up running. I found that out on my P4, it did´nt start up at all it behaved really strange before I adjusted the GA to minimum. Even bought a new videocard before I found that out. I read here video issues can be "the" big problem to get older mobos to work. God Luck

You get a blinking cursor if you did not install Mac on a primary partition, and not mark it active. And another possibility is that the name you gave to your partition had spaces as in "Macintosh HD" and not "MacintoshHD". Try installing again focusing on these issues:

1) a primary partition you make from either windows (disk management) or from Gparted. And when doing it from Gparted make sure there is NO FLAG (nothing under Flag).

2)make your partition active, boot again with -v -s or whatever and then fdisk -e /dev/rdisk<number of the disk> (you can get the number of the disk and the partition number if in the GUI you type in the terminal "diskutil list" without quotes) after fdisk -e /dev/rdisk<no. of the disk>; flag <partition number>; then update; then write; and then quit; and finally reboot. And you also need your disk and partition no. for Darwin Boot only on iATKOS, kalyway and stuff do not have Darwin Boot.

3) Finally, when naming your partition from Disk Util., name it so that it has no spaces in the name... not "Mac HD" but "MacHD" and later on after install, you can change your name.

Limac, thanks for suggestions but all you've said I've already done. No spaces on the volume name, and primary partition made active. Doesn't work. So I gave up, and downloaded Kalyway 10.5.2 and everything worked perfectly. Nearly... But I'll open another thread on that.

Had to patch the onboard network with some kext I´ve forgot the name on but it´s around here some where but that´s all. Well sound does´nt work but that soundcard is´nt good anyway so go for a Pci FW card with Texas Instrument chipset and a FW soundcard. I even got dual displays working with the latest NVinject kext. Logic Pro 8 runs on it no problem at all. The install was pretty ordinary stuff like on any redal mac so I´d say Kalys Leo 10.5.1 should do the trick for you. If you have Graphics Aperture in your bios set it to the lowest just to be sure you can always increase it when you have it up running. I found that out on my P4, it did´nt start up at all it behaved really strange before I adjusted the GA to minimum. Even bought a new videocard before I found that out. I read here video issues can be "the" big problem to get older mobos to work.

I've installed Kalyway 10.5.2. Quite easy... video works, sound works, boots quickly... so far so good. The networking is an issue, but I'll do a search on the forum and if I can't find a solution, I'll make a new thread.

Thanks all for suggestions! :)