Intel Power Gadget 3.7.0

About This File

Intel discontinued Intel Power Gadget and removed all the links to download the file.
This is the last version that was available, downloaded directly from Intel.

sha512sum: 8460b3f9ec53a4501d70a00b06cabe9da31da5416bb1ee60945cd419ff002dd6357811c6fc4dc25bbccb62ca8872ad0cacce3ce6830ec9e084c06d1f06fb5b19

Edited by Menelkir

What's New in Version 3.7.0   See changelog

Released

No changelog available for this version.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Bad news: Intel Power Gadget (or better yet the EnergyDriver.kext it installs) causes issues in macOS 14.2 beta 3. The 1st core will always run at 100 % and the system to get really hot. See Screenshot from my Laptop in idle.

Good news: The issue has been resolved in macOS 14.2 beta 4!!

The successor of Intel Power Gadget is called Intel PCM (Performance Counter Monitor). No precompiled binariest for macOS exist.

Edited by cankiulascmnfye
  • Like 2

Of course it is bad news, I hope that the new Intel PCM has an app or binary to use on macOS.

For now I continue with Intel PG, which works perfectly in Ventura and Sonoma, so that iStat Menus reports the CPU's working frequency.

Thanks @Menelkir

Edited by miliuco
  • Like 2

I think the reason they discontinued is is not macOS but their new CPU architecture with the big and small cores. Didn't manage to compile Intel PCM yet.

3 hours ago, cankiulascmnfye said:

I think the reason they discontinued is is not macOS but their new CPU architecture with the big and small cores. Didn't manage to compile Intel PCM yet.

Doesn't make sense. Apple doesn't discontinue and rewrite an entire macOS every time a new mac is launched.

1 hour ago, Menelkir said:

Doesn't make sense. Apple doesn't discontinue and rewrite an entire macOS every time a new mac is launched.

Uhm, we are talking about an app for monitoring Intel CPUs here, not Apple!

11 hours ago, cankiulascmnfye said:

Uhm, we are talking about an app for monitoring Intel CPUs here, not Apple!

That's exactly the point, a software doesn't need to be entirely rewritten to support new features.

Intel discontinued the support for macOS because there's no new mac using Intel processors so they don't need to support it on newer macs.

No. Intel discontinued the app for Windows as well, so it's not a Mac thing! It's because it does not longer work for the way 12th gen and newer CPU cores are designed. It was made for "traditional" multicore CPUs

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cankiulascmnfye said:

No. Intel discontinued the app for Windows as well, so it's not a Mac thing! It's because it does not longer work for the way 12th gen and newer CPU cores are designed. It was made for "traditional" multicore CPUs

And the newer one works on old CPUs because....?