Problems getting my Intel 2200BG Wireless Card to work

tzp2

15 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm new to the OSx86 scene and I am having a little trouble getting my Intell 2200 BG wireless card working on my Kalyway 10.5.2 Hackintosh. Other than this and no battery meter the computer works perfectly.

I browsed this forum for a while and found the .dmg package that could be used to install the card, every time I installed the package though my OSx86 machine would not boot. It would only show the BSOD (Black Screen of Death) that asked me to restart. I believe whenever the card turns on my computer crashes and the installer was automatically turning the card on making a boot loop.

So I found manual instructions in the Intel Card topic about using the pieces of the package to configure the card. I took the ktext and put it in ktext helper and it ran the easy intall. I also put Igui and Network Selector in the applications folder. Finally I restarted and ran -f and -v. When I opened my Network settings I found that the computer had detected a new option and I created it. I did not mess with any of the settings not setting anything manually. I assume this was my wireless card but I did note that there are now two Ethernet options in the Network Settings.

Then I tried to turn on the wireless card via Network Selector. After putting in 1 the program would hang. On a restart of the program I would type 1 and it would turn on the card but then I would get the BSOD and need to restart. Performing this process again had the same effect. If I loaded up only Igui and tried to turn on the card the computer will hang and the program will crash.If I am fast enough after using Network Selector I can log into Igui and the card is on but not long enough to detect any networks.

Can anyone help me with this issue? Is there something I am missing? What should I do now?

Thanks for the website. It seems like a great one. Just one problem, I tried to install it and I get an error saying that iwi2200 cannot run properly because it was not uninstalled properly. I went and looked up instructions on how to remove it, I took out the file in extensions and receipts and deleted NSGUI and Network Selector and tried again but I got the same error. What am I doing wrong?

Also I am not able to get my network card to work. I see that the orange light is illuminated in the back of the laptop but the green light does not flash. I guess this means no data is going to the machine. I looked in the connection settings and there is only one ethernet option so I selected it and created a new connection but it will not connect to the internet. All I did was set up the connection and did not input any information, is that what I did wrong? Can someone help me set this up so I can get on the internet?

I really appreciate any help I can get. Thanks a ton!

It seems I misread the message on the error box it actually says that iwi2200.kext was not installed properly and cannot be used. I made sure to delete all the apps and the .kext and .pckg for the program in the System and Library folders but I still get this error message. I have tried about three times with either reboot or log out with no luck.

Also in regards to my network card it now seems that I have no ethernet options in my Network folder. When I attempt to add a connection there is no ethernet option, only Firewire, PPoE, 6to4, and VPN. Any ideas?

So I decided to just blow my Hackintosh back to start. I reinstalled the Kalyway 10.5.1 Leopard disk and my ethernet is back but I still cannot get the iwi22000.pkg to install. Here is what happens, I run the installer and then when it restarts I get the message:

System extension cannot be used

The system extension "/System/Library/Extensions/isi2200.kext" was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it, or contact the product's vendor for an update.

But I just wiped the machine, nothing should stop it from working.

Then when I open network selector it says:

Last login: Thu Apr 17 16:20:00 on ttys000

186-180:~ joes$ /Applications/networkSelector ; exit;

Could not get ID for kernel control. 2

logout

[Process completed]

Finally ISGUI will not even run.

Any ideas out there?

I'm still not having any luck with my wireless. I can't get the .pckg to install correctly even on a cleanly installed version of Kalyway 10.5.1. Network Selector is no longer identifying that I have a wireless card to turn on. Are there any older versions of the installer I could attempt to use to install the wireless card?

I'm still not having any luck with my wireless. I can't get the .pckg to install correctly even on a cleanly installed version of Kalyway 10.5.1. Network Selector is no longer identifying that I have a wireless card to turn on. Are there any older versions of the installer I could attempt to use to install the wireless card?

Before you waste more time you should "maybe" forget about this package - I got it running finally on my ASUS W1N Notebook, but then I recognized that this driver does not support any encryption - nor WEB, nor WPA - only open WLANS are supported. This makes not really sence.

Best and fastest solution is to buy a cheap and supported WLAN USB Stick.

That is my personell opinion.

Regards,

Laul

Thanks Laul, I was thinking the same thing actually. What USB stick or card would you recommend?

Do you look here

However, I bought in a German Media Market a "HAMA Wireless Lan USB Stick 54Mbps" - the package stated "compatible with OS X".

The driver worked out of the box. WEB encryption does work, WPA still gives a complete crash.

It is also necessary that I plug in the stick after OS X booted, else it is not regignized - there exist a work around for this, but I did not followed up.

Other vendors USB sticks may behave different (better). However, for me it is OK.

You should note also that the stick is maybe not recognized as Airport card - you maybe need to configure the stick under network settings.

• 4 weeks later...

So I've been considering my options to solve my wireless problem with my laptop. I would love to switch to OSx86 full time but hate the idea of a wireless USB stick or card sticking out of my computer. Its already a 17" Inspiron 9300 behemoth that doesn't need the extra girth. So I got to thinking is there any internal wireless cards that I can replace my Intel one with that will work on both the MAC and Windows sides of my machine?

If it's any consolation to anyone, I got that driver Ajal pointed to above to install and run on a 2200BG in a Toshiba Tecra A2S336 under 10.4.9 last night. I used the rev779 version. Strange thing is, after fumbling through that net selector app and finally getting it running, I chose my router's AP from the list and it prompted me for the key, which actually worked. I'm running with 128bit WEP encryption.

I read the same things about needing an open network, so I don't know if he's changed the drivers recently or what, but it seems to be working for the most part. I'm not sure my connection is as solid as my usual XP setup, but I really don't know what the hell I'm doing right now (last Mac was a 533 G4 under OS9).

Hope things have improved!