New to the whole Website thing

18 posts in this topic

Hi,

(sorry if this is the wrong thread)

I'm new to having my own website and I have a question.

I bought a domain name from godaddy.com (that's it) and I was wondering if I could just use to iWeb to edit everything then publish it to that domain name. I have the program Cyberduck, but I'm unfamiliar with how to use it. If anyone could help it would be great, I'm sure a lot of you here know this a lot better than I do.

Thanks.

Cyberduck is an FTP client. This tool is used to transfer files from one host (your PC) to another (your ISP server). You will need to know the login and password, plus the target ftp server's address in order to use it (this info is provided by your ISP).

I haven't used iWeb yet, but I believe you can configure it to access the server directly. Then, all you need to do is to make your website and use the export or publish button to transfer the files.

Hope this helps,

hecker

Yeah it helps a little.

The problem I'm having is on Godaddy, I don't know where to access my username and password. I know it sounds dumb, but I really can't find it on there...

If anyone is familiar with Godaddy.com and could help I'd appreciate it.. thanks a ton

Godaddy offers free hosting with a domain name, however it has banners. It is in your control panel somewhere, I believe the heading is Hosting. Take a peek around and you should be able to find it, if you can't let me know and I will go on mine and tell you where to look.

I don't recommend Godaddy's hosting as it is poor, but it does work.

I am looking around and for some reason it just isn't popping up.. if you wouldn't mind taking a look at yours I'd appreciate it. I'm ok with the banners this website doesn't need to be anything ridiculous when it comes to professional.

I'll edit if I find it though.. thanks

I get mine from one.com, though my next domain will be from either godaddy or 1&1.

Usually, you do get an email stating all the FTP information and a couple of links for your DB and other stuff such as passwords.

Considering your new to website editing, use iWeb. It totally pwns Wordpress...

Think Mark

I'm not looking for anything fancy. I just want to do some stuff on iWeb and get it up. But I picked windows and now it asks for the program I want to use and they're all windows programs.

*qbattersby: its cool, no rush

It should be giving you some FTP details in terms of where to upload the site to. What are the windows programs being suggested?

Anyways, get the FTP details, and input that into iWeb and you should be good to go.

It totally pwns Wordpress...

No it doesn't. For beginners it's a good tool that can make a webpage in a matter of seconds.

Also, iWeb has FTP access only to .mac sites. You need to export then upload. :)

Here's my opinion and the way I learned to make 'websites'. I recommend you install a few things like WordPress, Joomla, PHP-Nuke, SMF, etc. until you understand how those things work. That is the only way to learn how to per-se make a website. Afterwards, make your plan for the site. Don't just come up with something you took from the air and improvise on the way when you have time on your hands. Take a piece of paper and think about it's purpose and funcition. Then build your site; at this step it should be pretty easy considering you have done the demo installs I said earlier a few times. After you installed whatever system you did you can go on to customization. I wouldn't jump straight to customization after you have a stable site though. I'd learn some HTML/CSS so you can see what you need to mod and how. Make a few local HTML sites on your HDD to get in touch with your 'inner coder'. Then it's all up to you my friend, all up to you. Remember that now. If you need any help feel free to PM me, I'll help and teach you with this painstaking process.

Regards,

MoC

My bad on the iWeb, haven't actually used it. But I thought that was the premise.

X-Ray> MasterofComputers has some good suggestions there for you. But what you need to get from Godaddy is the FTP account info, and then download Cyberduck or some sort of FTP program then create your site in iWeb, export it to a folder, than upload the contents of that folder to the FTP provided by Godaddy through Cyberduck.

Hope that helps.

My bad on the iWeb, haven't actually used it. But I thought that was the premise.

X-Ray> MasterofComputers has some good suggestions there for you. But what you need to get from Godaddy is the FTP account info, and then download Cyberduck or some sort of FTP program then create your site in iWeb, export it to a folder, than upload the contents of that folder to the FTP provided by Godaddy through Cyberduck.

Hope that helps.

I'll help you out with your goal X-Ray Mac. PM me with an email address or an IM address so I can further assist you. :D