[Guide] XPS M1710 OS X Leopard

fr3ak!

119 posts in this topic

hi,

I hope you can help me ;)

First I have a dell m1710 too with exact the same konfiguration.

The Soundoutput is not the best and a little bit laggy. Do you have clear sound?

And now my biggest Problem. The 7950GTX.

After some experiments i got the full res. After 5h i am very happy.

I used your kext but when mac is starded the mouse is very slow and just controlable for few seconds. Then it laggs :P

Do you know any solution for my problem?

Hello and thanks for this great Guide, 10.5.2 works like a charm. I am using Vanilla kernel but I got some questions: Can I update OSX without any problems?

What is all that EFI patch thing about?

I ordered a Dell 1405 TrueMobile Card, will it work?

Thanks a lot in advance

Colada

Welcome ColadaKing,

thomaske seems have no problem with upgrading (10.5.3 combo Kalyway update + 10.5.4 update About this Mac).

For me update upper 10.5.2 cause USB problem : Finder freeze on boot, I prefer stay at 10.5.2 at the moment.

If you do any update, please tell us how it's working !

(Then I recommand Sonotone Dell Post Installer, with Sigmatel 9200, 2 fingers with M1710 patch, Mac Pro SMBIOS and Clamshell.)

I'm testing Chameleon Kernel, members say it's better than EFI v8

I don't know if Dell 1405 works, I want buy 1390 or 1490.

Finally... dual core issue is solved!!

Check this thread

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=117558

I replaced my kernel with the posted kernel and guess what.. both cores are finally working!

here's my screen shot..

http://img201.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture1ud6.png

And sorry about being here(I own E1705) but I think since I have 7950gtx mine is pretty close to m1710 xD

Just wanted to deliver good news...

@Fourof4 : Thanks for the info' man, it's working !!! Dual core working !!

post-180472-1217270853_thumb.jpg

@Sonotone, Merci mon ami ! I follow your work, but at the moment can't go upper than 10.5.2 because USB freeze finder...

@Sonotone, Merci mon ami ! I follow your work, but at the moment can't go upper than 10.5.2 because USB freeze finder...

Ha glad to hear this man :) This is a huge step closer to full time hackintosh use :P

But does this mean we have to be carefull to update? and wait for new kernel to keep dual core working? or can we update just like we did with vanilla kernel?

But does this mean we have to be carefull to update? and wait for new kernel to keep dual core working?

I tried few days 10.5.2 kalyway and "dual core kernel 9.2.0" : no specific problems.

But I am testing iAktos 10.5.4. Can't confirm stability for this hacked kernel.

Give it a try with OSX86 tool and reverse if your system hang.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks fr34k,

I attempted to install the Sigmatel 9200 kext from the Sonotone 1.2 Dell Post Installer onto a Dell XPS 1710, but it ended up removing sound capabilities altogether.

I'll check out your changes to the guide to make sure I did it right.

Thanks for all your hard work!!!

Mike

• 3 weeks later...
Hello all,

I'm sorry I can't update guide at the moment, I have lot of personal things to do.

So I upload my kexts and tools here : http://dl.free.fr/pwMMvGARH

They make my 10.5.2 is near perfect (DVD player with blank screen and sometimes shutdown doesn't work)

Hope It will help you.

I also lost all sound capabilities following these steps. My output devices are no longer shown in Audio settings. Ran ALC268 Installer 2 (worked), then deleted ALCInject.kext (deleted my output device), restarted, installed HDAEnabler.kext, fixed permissions and restarted. I am stuck on the step "make sure that Internal Speakers is selected in Audio Settings" because there ARE NO INTERNAL SPEAKERS ANYMORE! :P

Is this all you did to make the Audio work perfectly? ..I was so close before (mute, subwoofer control), now I'm so far ^_^

I'm still having fun getting this m1710 to near perfect hackintosh though! :)

P.S.

Has anyone noticed that http://wiki.taruga.net/ is down?? That really stinks because I now can't figure out how to get the audio back.. {censored}..

I also lost all sound capabilities following these steps. My output devices are no longer shown in Audio settings. Ran ALC268 Installer 2 (worked), then deleted ALCInject.kext (deleted my output device), restarted, installed HDAEnabler.kext, fixed permissions and restarted. I am stuck on the step "make sure that Internal Speakers is selected in Audio Settings" because there ARE NO INTERNAL SPEAKERS ANYMORE! :P

Is this all you did to make the Audio work perfectly? ..I was so close before (mute, subwoofer control), now I'm so far :wacko:

I'm still having fun getting this m1710 to near perfect hackintosh though! :rolleyes:

P.S.

Has anyone noticed that http://wiki.taruga.net/ is down?? That really stinks because I now can't figure out how to get the audio back.. {censored}..

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there may be two different on-board sound chips: the standard board and the HD chipset. Mine uses the Sigmatel chipset, which is a HD chipset with subwoofer. The other might be something different.

Mine did the same thing, too. I believe this is because the first time you follow the tutorial (the one above) it guides you to install the sigmatel9200.txt using the HDA (high def audio) patcher. I can't remember if mine worked with th 9200, but I know that it worked with one of the sigmatel patches (9221, perhaps.)

Did you have to change the "Boot cpus=1 flag", or does the kernel fix this automatically?

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone for all this info; I got Kalyway 10.5.2 running well (including dual core) on my m1710.

However, it runs too hot - in Windows I use i8kfangui to set the fans to full blast. A bit noisy, but I can live with that, because my previous 7900gs overheated during a session of FarCry. I also bought a zm-nc2000 notebook cooler to get the temperature down even more. So my new Quadro FX2500M 512mb and cpu are quite cool now. (this temp problem hits most m1710's)

However, the mac runs H.O.T.! I tried smcfancontrol, but that won't run - no values.

Basically, I want all the fans to run at full speed. Any pointers, anyone? I read through through the fan related posts, but perhaps someone knows the solution for the m1710?

Thanks!

So I have found an answer to my own question today by sheer accident, and thought people might be interested in this. My fans work at full speed now (or any speed I want them to)! It's a 'cool' mac now (no pun intended) ;-)

This is what I do to control my fans manually (this procedure presupposes a dual boot system that boots into Mac):

1 - boot into windows first (F8), install i8kfangui21 (http://www.diefer.de/i8kfan/index.html)

2 - run i8kfangui. I set it to run at windows start up.

3 - set the fans to full blast - however, any setting can be made, if you feel that the highest setting is too much.

4 - Next, restart (shutdown, restart in windows)

5 - you will notice that the fans keep running at the setting you selected - right into Mac!

I checked the temperatures using temperature monitor. Idle: hd - 28*c. dual cores: 26*c and 27*c. According to i8kfagui in Windows, the gpu never gets hotter than about 45*c for normal work.

Though this method has the disadvantage of booting into Windows first, I am now completely certain my 'mac' will never overheat (unlike 'true' mac notebooks that tend to get very hot).

Hope this is helpful.

• 2 weeks later...

Please help!..

I have royally screwed up my sound. After attempting the headphones fix above I lost all sound, but reinstalled my backup appleHDA.kext which seemed to fix the problem. I then retried the headphones fix - again did not work (ALC268 Installer gets rid of output devices) - only this time, reinstalling the appleHDA.kext isn't helping. I found Taruga's appleHDA Patcher1.20 and went back to Taruga's first site (to get the sigmatel9200.txt). This is the problem - after dragging the .txt into the icon and entering my password I get this error: *Detected unsupported codec

This was not an issue when I installed 10.5.1 and had to do this step.

..I've tried deleting all HDA kexts and attempted to drag sigmatel9200.txt into Taruga's Patcher v1.20 again to no avail.. (same error)

Again, PLEASE PLEASE HELP!

Edit: Come to find out, ALC268 (in the download folder) prevented me from installing sigmatel9200.txt. Deleted it and reinstalled the .txt with Taruga's Patcher. Shwooo.. was nervous..

Anyway, when I plug headphones in it still does not auto-mute internal speakers, but I do hear sound out of headphones. I'm hoping fr3ak! will update his guide soon (although it seems this has become somewhat of a dead post..) :blink:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Here is the tools I used for NVCAP.

Before modification save NVinject.kext (or NVinjectGo.kext)

If you have any problems, boot with -x and install your saved NVinject.kext

1. Boot under DOS and use NVFLASH to dump your graphic card firmware (nvflash -b save.rom)

Could you elaborate on how you did this? I can't seem to make a proper dos usb drive. They all end up being 1.44 mb and have no room for the nvflash tool.

Thanks