Anyone left Windows behind for good with their hackintosh?

ecotopian

82 posts in this topic

im sorry peeps. I have to say to me, installing mac and get it to work perfectly is the most fun i have with Mac. I mean, once i have e'thing working, the fun is gone and i find myself going back to Windowz again..

Yes, mac has soooo many greatness in it. BUT, these are what i cant live without (i do php e'ry day)

1. mac font is blurry (google mac font rendering vs windows font rendering). I know, none is superior than the other, but to me what good a 22" TFT if u just want a blurry font? hehe

2. home, end buttons. I know this sounds silly, but when u code e'day and u've used to them, then u know. There are some key mapping techniques, but all i can find are for Tiger.

On a different note, I LOVE and adore the Mail app.

• 9 months later...

I'm a php programmer and server admin on my own dedi and TBH there's shortcuts to the home and end that you can get used to very easy. Plus your added benefit on OSx is that you don't need putty or winscp or anything as you have terminal on mac that connects nicely to my CentOS dedi :D

I've made the jump to OSx, the only thing i'm having an issue with at the moment though is a very wierd graphics problem in WoW where the graphic suddenly corrupts and turns into noise, but i have a feeling thats the 8600GS not working right with iDeneb10.5.5.. might nip over to kaly though as there's alot of WoW players on that distro on this forum.

There's one bug that does annoy, but not to the extent that you'd think, and thats i have a switched @ and " keys and no hash/pound key anymore.. not a massive pain, but it does get annoying at 2am when you're firing off an email to 'joe"bloggs.com' and the mailserver is screaming at you about inproper email address.. lol

I'm now saving up for a 22" iMac :) gotta have one of them puppies with WoW :D i'm so used to the mac:keys now its easy!

JJ

I think my Sig explains it. I have a dedicated Vista64 machine, being the most powerful in the house, for games and Blu-Ray. Then I have the Hackintosh which will become the media center, except it can't do the blu-ray, but I'm dumping all my DVDs to a media drive that the hachintosh is connected to. I like the look of front row better that WMC. I also have a Laptop that is a MacBook 1.83 gig. Thing is great for what I do but I think Macs are still way overpriced.

Now, I also have an experiment Linux cluster for video rendering and just to see if I could do it, but adding the speed of the Cluster doesn't even equal the AMD Gamer, so it isn't on much.

I've made the switch to OSX on my PC, only game I play is Warcraft, which has the mac install right on the DVD. At work I have to look at MS Windows all day, working at a computer shop where all I see are Windows pc's. We're working on switching all our in-house computers to linux boxes including our mail and web servers. Since I switched to OSX on my PC 6 months ago I've learned enough to feel comfortable working on other macs, that we've been able increase our services to include the mac community!

Installed Kalyway 10.5.2 on both a Terabyte and a 300 GB drive, both with virtualbox XP, as well as 64-bit Kubuntu Linux on another 300 GB drive with virtualbox XP.

I am comparing the two systems, Leopard versus Kubuntu, both 64-bit, as to how they run independently as well as how they virtualize XP, and while I have not decided for Leopard nor Kubuntu, I will never again run XP as a standalone system. XP runs faster and more securely, as well as greater stability, in virtual.

In other words, while XP is the best OS Microsoft has ever released, it is still {censored} by comparison. They have announced they will be supporting XP until at least 2012, possibly 2014, meaning if you read between the lines, they are admitting Windows 7 is no better than Vista, as old OSes are fazed out within 6 months of the release of the new system.

My opinion only.

I'll tell ya this.. I had bought a mac mini a couple years ago and thought it was horribly slow, and just didn't compare to a PC. I gave up on Macs after that, until I had it with MS and their constant security issues, settings getting cleared, and poor driver availability for x64 XP. Vista and it's hardware requirements disqualified it too.

I built my 1st Hackintosh a few months ago, after spending a few weeks reading thread after thread. The fact I've worked with BSD since the 4.1 days made things much easier, since I knew that OS pretty well.

Then I decided to try to do my Dell 600m laptop. I had Debian Etch on there, but it didn't work well - graphics were really slow, and the network would freeze up sometimes. Ok, so OSX isn't perfect - but I did get everything working on it aside from the wireless.

My AMD hackintosh has worked so well for me. It ran things so well, I decided to dump my Scalix mail server (on Debian) for an OSX one, that I could also use as a fileserver. OSX Server on an HP Proliant - works great, RAID works, data is secure, I have more space, and I could go on for a while about it.

Bottom line is this. My 1st Hackintosh is in need of replacement soon. Instead of building a new Hackintosh, I'm actually going to buy a MacPro. I'm gonna buy another one to replace the ProLiant later on, and let the ProLiant do other things running linux. That Dell laptop? Screw Dell. They suck, and my next purchase will be a lightweight Macbook or Air.

I'll still keep the others. My daughter has the mini now, and steals my laptop from time to time. I'll give her my 1st hackintosh as an upgrade for the mini, and let my son have that. Either way, I won't every get rid of my Hackintoshes, but the fact the community has come so far has enabled me to leave Winblows behind.

• 7 months later...
I've been seriously considering ditching windows on my AMD box for good and just using Zephyroth 10.5.2 exclusively.

I have made a complete list of apps I could work with that would match what I currently work with on x64 XP Pro.

My idea being that I would work with my hackintosh, purchasing the apps I use to try and be as legit as I can given the circumstances.

Has anyone seen solid stability with their AMD box enough to make the jump and not look back? I'm specifically concerned about the nVidia eSata ports and whether they are stable enough to withstand data throughput required for editing HD video.

I'm at a crossroads here and wondering if I need to upgrade my Mobo and CPU or if I can get away with the AMD hardware.

See my sig for my specs.

Been gone for 6 months now :)