Belkin N Wireless USB Adaptor F5D8053

milkshake

85 posts in this topic

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your speedy help on the Belkin N1 USB wifi dongle. It works really well. I also managed to get this D-Link DWA-140 USB dongle going by editing the info.plist:

DWA-140_main.jpg

Once again, a big thumbs up for your help,

aquamac.

hi, aquamac,

you are saying : it works very well.... ( under Mac OS 10.4 or 10.5 ? )

so which is a better choice & performer Belkin F5D8051 or F5D8053 or D-link DWA-140 under 10.4?

so which is a better choice & performer Belkin F5D8051 or F5D8053 or D-link DWA-140 under 10.5?

thank you!

samuel

Hi all. I would just like to say a very heart felt thankyou to 'Totally Bonkers' for the driver for the N wireless USB adapter. I just opened my new modem router and USB adapter bundle B5DUK061 tonight after agonising over whether I could trust Belkin to make a modem router that would work with my Mac running 10.4.11. I unwrapped it and then read how the USB adapter in the same box, didn't have drivers for Mac! I couldn't believe it and was enraged as the modem router was Mac compatible. So I did some research and found this site and downloaded the driver for Tiger. Had some other issues with general stupidity regarding getting router online (not putting ISP settings in! DUH!) and overall took 2 hours to sort but is now working and fast! I love Mac's but don't in the slightest get using 'Terminal' and all so having a driver package to install was a dream! Cheers mate for your efforts! Does Belkin know of the drivers cos they should add them to there support page and reward you to help other Mac heads out! :(

Just on the off chance that anyone can help while i'm having good luck... would anyone know how I can get my computer to 'see' my 'Medion' USB adapter (Aldi make of c2006) The model code on the stick is XG-701A. It only came with windows drivers but I swear I had it set up on my sisters Emac once and it worked, so I must have got a driver from somewhere? Other info on the stick apart from 54mps USB 2.0 dongle is MD40900, MSN 30001599, FCC ID M4Y-XG701A, Year code IV/12/03 and finally EAN 29092710. Made in China. Have noticed other people asking about other USB adapters on the post so I thought i'd give it go! Any help greatly appreciated as its just a lump of platic and metal otherwise! I am running 10.4.11 by the way on my Power Mac G4. :(

Hello Daniel,

Thanks so much for your help.

My Airport Extreme card died on my Dual 2 Ghz PowerPC G5 (OS 10.4.11)

Though I have Applecare I didn't want to lose my machine to the repair shop for a week at this time, so I purchased the Belkin F5D8053 with the hopes of increased speed and range.

I also purchased a Belkin F5D8233-4 wireless router.

I knew these weren't supported for Mac OS but I read your postings and decided to give this set-up a try.

I loaded the driver you supplied and followed instructions.

After many fits and restarts it is currently working with only minor hiccups. (as you had acknowledged)

The F5D5053 is recognized by the Belkin Wireless Utility at startup and my profile auto loads.

When connections are dropped turning the RADIO ON/OFF seems to get me back online.

All other mysterious and intermittent problems I was experiencing seemed to have resolved themselves after 3 days and 20 or so restarts.

Important part is I am connecting to the wireless router in my home from a detached garage/studio with fast data rates using the F5D8053 and OS X.

Amazing...Thanks again Daniel!

-Mitch

can somebody send me file and installing instructions please I have sent an e-mail to the person above also. nomie7@gmail.com

Here are the information from the system

Dual-Band Wireless-N USB Network Adapter:

Version: 1.01

Bus Power (mA): 500

Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec

Manufacturer: Cisco-Linksys LLC

Product ID: 0x0071

Vendor ID: 0x1737

OK. . . I have Kalyway Leopard 10.5.3 installed, and have tried numerous methods on here to get the Belkin F5D8053 working. None of them have worked. I have emaild TotallyBonkers with this, trying to get the specific driver directly from him. Is there an easier way that I'm just missing???

Please help.

Thanks!

-Thomas

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Everyone,

I had a F5D8053 but it disconnects everytime, so i bought a brand new one WUSB600N but i cant make it work with the drivers downloadeds here. I've got my details, if somebody can help me:

Dual-Band Wireless-N USB Network Adapter:

Version: 1.01

Bus Power (mA): 500

Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec

Manufacturer: Cisco-Linksys LLC

Product ID: 0x0071

Vendor ID: 0x1737

Can somebody make the changes necessaries for me, i'm kind of dummy in code stuff lol

Thanks in advance

Regards,

Supramati

Hi everyone,

I have a mac mini and would like to upgrade to wireless n. Given I use a wag160n modem/router from linksys the linksys wusb600n seems like a solid choice. It seems that some of you got this dongle working with mac os using the driver supplied above. Any of you who could help me if i buy the dongle.

Thx in advance

• 2 weeks later...

Belkin F5D8053 N Wireless Adapter

Milkshake and Others:rte-remove-formatting.gif

I sent an email to totallybonkers October 5, 2008 and a reply came back the same day although I had turned my computer off already or I would have had it within a couple hours of my request. Today I installed the software and driver. Everything worked right from the start. I checked out my connection to a Linksys Wireless N Router and a Netgear Wireless Access Point which I have hooked up in my house. There was NO trouble connecting to either wireless device. totallybonkers did a lot of hard work for all of us. I needed a USB Wireless N adapter because I have a Macbook which does not have a PCMCIA or express slot.

Great work totallybonkers. At age 69 I may be much more bonkers than you. Thanks!

My only worry now is will we need a new driver when OS X 10.5 (Leopard) is upgraded

here are some working drivers i managed to get from the fella in this forum http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthrea...ighlight=driver

thought i might share them for the community.

please read the instructions in the attatchement and if possible give thanks to the person that sorted it out in the forum link i gave above.

Hope this works out for you all! works for me on leopard.

I put together a page that will show you how to get the WUSB600N working on Mac OSX Panther,

Tiger, and Leopard. There's also a cached copy of the driver

You'll need to run terminal and sudo -s so you can edit the files and clear kernel extension cache,

won't work unless you're doing it with root account

http://www.host7x.com (INSTRUCTIONS FOUND HERE)

good luck, hope this helps

Thx a lot!

Will try later this week.

Hi,

Thanks for the instructions. I followed them with the Linksys WUSB600N, and it just worked.

I even managed to connect in the 5Ghz band using WPA2, and the speeds I get are amazing: close to 10MBps.

To connect in the 5Ghz band, I had to go to the advanced tab and select the 2.4 + 5G mode, then do a scan. Once my 5G SSID is visible I connect to it, enter the wpa2 key. Then I need to go back to the Advanced tab and select 5G only to be able to connect to my 5G SSID.

There is a small problem with the supplied driver, and I wonder if it's not some permissions issues:

Between reboots it seems that the USB utility don't remember the created profile, I also need to have the adpater unplugged while booting, otherwise it's not seen by the system and it won't connect.

Is this something that can be fixed, does somebody have the source code for the RAlink drivers?

The seped I'm getting with the linksys adapter is much better than the one obtained using the internal 802.11n airport adapter.

Samy.

I put together a page that will show you how to get the WUSB600N working on Mac OSX Panther,

Tiger, and Leopard. There's also a cached copy of the driver

You'll need to run terminal and sudo -s so you can edit the files and clear kernel extension cache,

won't work unless you're doing it with root account

http://www.host7x.com (INSTRUCTIONS FOUND HERE)

good luck, hope this helps

WUSB600N!.. can someone explain how did he get it workin'??

********* THIS IS HOW YOU GET THE LINKSYS WUSB600N WORKING IN OSX ***********

I actually had to get this working on my real mac pro because when i went to the apple store the morons at the genius bar wouldnt sell me the wifi card unless i let them install it, for a nominal fee of course. So f*ck them in the goat a$$, this is how you get it to work flawlessly:

1. Download and install WUSB600N (Panther, Tiger, Leopard RALINK RT2870)

2. Reboot your computer but DO NOT PUT IN THE CARD YET!!

3. Use textwrangler (free gui for editing kext files, google it you'll find it) and edit the following file: /System/Library/Extensions/RT2870USBWirelessDriver.kext/Contents/Info.plist

4. Search for "Linksys" change the integer line below from 112 to 113:

<integer>113</integer>

5. Close and save the file

6. open: /System/Library/Extensions/RT2870USBWirelessDriver.kext/Contents/Resources/Info.plist

Again, search for Linksys and change the integer line to be 0x0071:

<integer>0x0071</integer>

7. Close and save the file

8. Open terminal and run "sudo -s"

9. Clear out your kernel extension cache, run "kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions"

10. Reboot your computer and insert the card, you can now run /Applications/USBWirelessUtility and

configure the card. When I plugged mine in, it opened the utility automatically

Enjoy, hope this gets everyone on wireless N for cheap from radioshack, thats where i got mine, works great!

This is where I downloaded the driver (i used the top one, 2870):

http://www.ralinktech.com/ralink/Home/Support/Macintosh.html

• 2 weeks later...

Using a PowerBook G4 running 10.4. Doesn't seem to even recognize that the Belkin F5D8053 N Wireless Adapter is plugged in. It's been tested on a windows machine recently so I know it works. Any ideas TotallyBonkers? I tried installing the pkg you sent but it just says "You can not continue. There is nothing to install." when I click the install button. I ended up getting the USBWirelessUtility from ralink. Tried the driver installation as mentioned above but nothing. Using the USBWirelessUtility just gives me the "No Device" message.

Hey Guys,

I also have Belkin N Wireless USB Adaptor F5D8053, and tried very hard to make it work with my mac. After reading this thred and another one at Mac-Forums, it seemd a very good idea to contact Daniel at totallyBunkers_@hotmail.com. He was very kind and sent me the drivers needed along with instructions on how to install them and on how to configure a working wireless connection.

The result is, that I have now working 'Belkin N Wireless USB Adaptor F5D8053' on a PowerMac G4 Dual 800MHZ Quicksilver running OSX 10.4.11. Internet works perfect now.

Thanks a lot, Daniel!!!

gonczos

Note: Before contacting Daniel, I advise you to read message #50 at http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/airport-n...n-dongle-4.html

It does work on my iBook G4. Check out this other forum on this site ("Linksys WUSB600N working flawlessly"). There are fewer posts and it's all related to the Linksys WUSB600N. Thanks a LOT to Daniel,"ziglg", "milkshake", and "manofmany". Without your instructions and drivers, people like me who are not that informed on networking technology wouldn't have been able to install this adapter. :(

I'm struggling with setting up my system and am hoping for some help. I have a 500 gb time capsule generating a wireless network and my MBP and 2 PC's have great connection to the wireless network. However, the one PC that is using a Linksys WUSB600N says that it can't find any apple wireless devices. It seems kind of crazy that it picks up the wireless network and has great speed (130 mbps), but can't find the time capsule as I have shared doc's on it and want to access them from the PC. I don't think it's an issue with the time capsule as the other PC (uses a wireless g adapter) picks up the time capsule and designated it as drive z. Any idea why the one PC can't find any apple wireless devices?

Thanks.

John King

Using the 10.5 driver and changing the ID from 112 to 113, I got my Linksys WUSB600N working like a champ. I am able to get 270 'N' speeds, which I thought I would never get. The one drawback is that while the driver supports WEP, WPA, WPA2, it does not support WPA-Enterprise only PSK (TKIP/AES). Also, I played around trying to connect on the 5ghz radio and I was unsuccessful. You can go to the adavced tab on the wireless utility and select 2.5&5 and my 5ghz ssids show up but I cannot connect to my WRT600N. More than likely it is a WRT600N setup issue. This router is definitely finicky to say the least. . .

By the way, to edit the info.plist file I used the instructions on the below URL:

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...t_Patching_List