HTPC Graphic Card TV-OUT

osxgus

6 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I am looking for a good gfx card that has working VGA AND TV-Out output,

I need this since I have a projector and a 32" CRT widescreen TV, that are hooked up with

my leopard HTPC.

I have built in GMA950 which works ok but with mouse-tearing on the projector.

I have also tried a nVidia 7300GT card which works great with VGA and no tearing,

on the projector, but the tv-out doesn't work properly (could maybe be fixed??),

I also tried a genuine apple DVI to Composite /Svideo converter to get tv output,

but I get nothing out of that from the Nvidia card.

Reading the wiki didn't help much since noone seems to list tvout compability.

So does anyone know of a gfx card on the cheap, not outdated that can either

get 100% tvout, or tvout with help of the dvi port and an apple dvi-composite dongle?

I have searched the forum and tried a lot of things, so please just constructive help,

and if I have missed something, please link to what I couldn't find.

Cheers,

:)

Gus

I just bought a MSI HD2600XT for around $70 that should get here Thursday. I also have the genuine Apple DVI-TVOut converter and I am going to see how to get this to work. The card has 2 DVI-I (digital and analog integrated) on it and others have reported the 2600's to work with the adapter. I will let you know my results as soon as I can. I can't guarantee Thursday however because I have a final exam Friday morning and two more early next week.

-sdelano

I can vouch also that the Apple DVI to composite/Svideo adapter does not work with NVINJECT 2.0 dual script on a 7300GT.

I notice that during bootup, the SVIDEO cable WORKS up until the apple logo, then goes away....

Keep us up to date if there is a similar ATI card that works!

The card I mentioned above (MSI HD2600XT works great with the Apple DVI-TVout adapter and Natit). I would love to check the regular TVOut for you (should have done it when everything was working) but I...um....f'ed up my mobo with a bad bios flash and need to send it back for a new one. Haha isn't that great? All just so I could boot off of a SATA DVD drive...

-sdelano

Oh yeah I don't know about using this card in an HTPC though...its one of those double tall cards and is extra long. I don't know what kind of case you're running this in so this maybe a problem. Its not a loud card, just BIG...

• 3 weeks later...
@dj

for me SVIDEO OUT sort of works during startup, but not properly. the picture is black&white but i do see the logo, and then both screens (projector/VGA) and tv-out goes black..

:)

Gus

This is the same issue I have with my leopard mediacenter when I use the TV-out (S-video). I hope this can be fixed, seeing as it worked before in tiger. I had some succes using 10.4.8 drivers NVidia kexts. I got TV-out signal up and running, resolution switching and color profiles, but no CI/QE, so no front row or accelerated video playback -_-. I think it's something in the graphics framework, so maybe it would be useful if someone had the knowledge how to, to compare these.